• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission stuck in Netrual?

Tim00XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

Once my Jeep is at a dead stop, and I go to pull away, it's almost like the transmission stays in neutral. After a second or two, it finally goes into gear. It only does this once I come to a complete stop.

Could this be an issue within the transmission or perhaps a sensor of some sort?

It's a 2000 with an automatic.

Update: Upon coming to a complete stop it shifts into neutral. Then when I press the gas to pull away, it revs some then finally switches over to first. It doesn't do it at every complete stop.

Last edited:
First thing to do is check your tranny fluid level, with the motor running. Shift through the gears then check the oil. Don't assume, check it.

It looked a little low when I checked earlier. I had it running in neutral, however I did not change through the gears. Would you suggest draining it and refilling it, or just adding fluid?

This really sounds like a mechanical and not electrica issue. Does it get better when the tranny is warm?

The correct diagnosis method would be to put a gauge on the pressure port.

did you add fluid to get it to the proper level? the trans cannot build enough pressure to shift at low rpms without sufficient fluid in it.

Yes, I filled it to the full mark on the dipstick while the engine was running and in neutral. Although, I can double check later today.

Old_Man, it does it both when the vehicle is "cool" and warmed up.

Once my Jeep is at a dead stop, and I go to pull away, it's almost like the transmission stays in neutral. After a second or two, it finally goes into gear. It only does this once I come to a complete stop.

Could this be an issue within the transmission or perhaps a sensor of some sort?

It's a 2000 with an automatic.

Update: Upon coming to a complete stop it shifts into neutral. Then when I press the gas to pull away, it revs some then finally switches over to first. It doesn't do it at every complete stop.

It 's your torque converter either going south or not enough Dex...it's a spin and pressure issue. It doesn't actually shift into Neutral at a stop, or shouldn't.

Maybe MAYBE it could be the throttle position sensor (TPS). I had an issue where the trans was not shifting or felt like it was in N and it's because I got the TPS wet and ruined it.

Yes, why not? Myself, I've only experienced an empty tranny...it's fine now. Gotta love the AW4.

This really sounds like a mechanical and not electrica issue. Does it get better when the tranny is warm?

Spin & Pressure!

Back