• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear main seal help

Mike Mike

NAXJA Forum User
Got a used 4.0 on the engine stand. Should be easy!! Putting new gaskets and freeze plugs in before dropping it in the Jeep. Got around to the rear main seal and the top half is stuck and won't come out. Anyone have any suggestions short of pulling the whole crank loose.

Thanks! I think I have some brass rod. I've changed a few seals before. Never had one stuck like this. They always pushed/pulled right out. Pushed on one end and pulled on the other and the end broke off. Then went the other way and pulled that end off also.

I just took out my buddies yesterday On the engine stand. All i needed was a flat head screw driver. Just be very carefull not to scratch or score anywere.

OK, Used a alum. rod and it didn't move. loosened all the mains and lifted the crank up about a 1/4 in. Came out in pieces and going have to pull the crank to get the little bits that are still stuck. Worst part is, it didn't leak. Though I'd be smart and change it while it was easy to get at.

Back