• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AUX FAN BYPASS SWITCH.. PIC's??

Xjay89

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have an older model (80's) XJ with an aux. Fan bypass switch? I do not know which wire is the Signal wire on the relay that grounds the connection for the fan to turn on. I would like to splice and run a bypass switch to activate the fan whenever.

Anyone with a similar year xj with pics, wire color??

Thank you,

XJAY89..

If you don't mind fan turn on being completely manual, you can just install a switch in place of the thermostatic switch on the radiator. It will still come on with AC, etc.

Dont have the vehicle here to check which wire to tap into.

But, if you get a stock switch, a rocker with the light in it, all you'll need to do is tap into the correct wire, with +12v, and the fan will override on. It will continue to operate on its temp switch, and also, the light will illuminate whenever the fan is operating (manual or auto).

Use one of those crimp-on wire taps (front left fender), pull +12v from the fuse panel under dash.

Shogun, that's exactly what I had in mind. I like the illuminated switch idea.

I would like to make sure that in the event my coolant temp switch or diode goes bad, I can still manually turn it on when trail driving.

It's not a diode, it's just an open/close switch on an 89. You can also switch into the AC clutch circuit to turn on the fan. I'm thinking if you just parallel a switch off of the temp sensor leads to the radiator, that should work. You'll see the connector near the radiator, just piggyback off of that.

If you tap in prior to the relay the switch wont be carrying much current, if you splice in at the temp sender I think it is then carrying to current of the fan and might need to be fused accordingly. Dont know, just guessing.

In my splice the switch is just running the relay, so very little current draw that is pulled off the fuse panel.

I will try to remember tomorrow to check the applicable wire to splice.

Fred,

That sounds like it might work. You will have to excuse my inability to follow along well with the electronic side of things, I rarely mess with the wiring mumbo jumbo. I will take a look this week and see if I can't shock the sh!t out of myself.

:spin3:
If you tap in prior to the relay the switch wont be carrying much current, if you splice in at the temp sender I think it is then carrying to current of the fan and might need to be fused accordingly. Dont know, just guessing.

In my splice the switch is just running the relay, so very little current draw that is pulled off the fuse panel.

I will try to remember tomorrow to check the applicable wire to splice.

That would be cool. I was reading the same issue on another post. Let me know what you find out.

Does anyone have an older model (80's) XJ with an aux. Fan bypass switch? I do not know which wire is the Signal wire on the relay that grounds the connection for the fan to turn on. I would like to splice and run a bypass switch to activate the fan whenever.

Anyone with a similar year xj with pics, wire color??

Thank you,

XJAY89..
Try this link http://www.myunibody.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1068 It might just be what you need.

The fan relay should be around the front left fender wall. About 1"x1"x1.5". Four wires; red, red, black, orange. Crimp a splice connector onto the orange wire with +12v and it turns on the fan.

If you have a lighted switch, one goes to +12v (fuse panel tap), one goes to above orange, the ground goes to metal screw under dash. The light will come on when switched on, or backfed when temp or a/c turns on fan.

The fan relay should be around the front left fender wall. About 1"x1"x1.5". Four wires; red, red, black, orange. Crimp a splice connector onto the orange wire with +12v and it turns on the fan.

If you have a lighted switch, one goes to +12v (fuse panel tap), one goes to above orange, the ground goes to metal screw under dash. The light will come on when switched on, or backfed when temp or a/c turns on fan.

Thank you. Perfect explanation.

Back