• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition key stuck in run position!

b5blue

NAXJA Forum User
89 XJ 6cyl 5 spd 2wd Sport: Yesterday the ignition key refused to move to the off position while running around town. I tried wiggling, jiggling, pushing and twisting for 5 min. before pulling the coil wire and disconnecting the negitive cable off the battery.
The key/ignition switch will not move from run position at all, not even forward to crank position. It gave no warning of failure everything was working fine, the XJ has just over 120K miles and is in good shape otherwise.
My FSM is clear as mud about my NON-TILT column with individual drawings of separate components but no comprehensive exploded diagram so I hope someone may have input.

Try the ign switch at the bottom of the column (top side). Sounds like it may have failed.

i had a problem were my could wouldnt turn to the lock position but it would do everything else. i had to mess with one of the cables at the shifter. but u got a 5spd and not sure if theres a safty cable like the autos. if not start tearing the colum aprt and locking for something odd

Thanks I started a search of different terms here, I can't tell if it's the switch or the key assembly but I'm in deep enough to have the lower dash cover removed and somethings unplugged. I'm going to pull the switch and replace it even if it's not fried. (I want to have it in hand for the guys at the part store anyway. It looks like the dimmer switch holds the ignition switch on.

try wiggling the rod that comes down from the ignition lock tumbler and goes to the electrical part of the switch, it may be bound up on something.

It was the lock itself, it totally bound up. I changed out the switch also just to be safe. Thanks NAXJA Members for all your help! Neal

Back