• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smittybilt XRC Front Bumper Install

A1Fiddler

NAXJA Forum User
Since this is such a new bumper, I wanted to put my experiences (and problems) with it out there for everyone. This install was on a completely stock '92 XJ. I'm not going to do a comprehensive step-by-step how-to. This is just an overview of some of the issues I had with the install.

The biggest issue I had was involving the passenger side frame rail tie-in bracket. Smittybilt includes a nut plate to go on the inside of the frame rail, but on mine I had a problem:

c-channel-1-small.jpg

Two issues here: 1) The c-channel that houses the sway bar nuts comes up half way through the hole so the bolt won't go through:

passenger-outside-frame-small.jpg

passenger-inside-frame-small.jpg

And 2) The nut plate won't sit flush against the frame rail.

nut-plate-1-small.jpg

After much talking with a guy at Smittybilt, him talking to the engineers, me sending everyone photos, etc. they told me to drill out the c-channel and bolt the nut plate down anyway. I don't think so. I'd rather not have my bolt snap in half because the nut was only contacting 1/2 the surface it's supposed to. Solution:

files-small.jpg

Using some Harbor Freight metal files, I filed down the c-channel in both sides of the frame rail until I could get a bolt through. I then went down to my local hardware shop and got a 3.5” grade 8 bolt and nut in a size that matched the others in the kit (I forget exactly what size it was). This allowed me to put the bolt all the way through the frame to the other side. I was worried about pinching the frame inward, but with the c-channel in there, there should be plenty of support.

new-bolt-small.jpg

Now the bolt is sitting where the nut plate is supposed to go, so I just cut that part of the plate off where the red line is (sorry I didn't grab a pic of the actual plate after cutting. I started getting impatient and not taking time for pictures):

nut-plate-cut-small.jpg

The 1/2” (I think) bolt that Smittybilt supplies for the last hole in the bracket didn't go through the hole, so I had to drill it out:

tie-in-bracket-hole-small.jpg

Now the passenger side tie-in bracket should bolt up. The driver side bracket was much easier. I just had to drill out the last hole in the bracket for the large bolt and make sure everything lined up. One tip I have is to install the top steering box bolt first, then push the steering box into place for the bottom two. I did have one issue on the driver side:

driver-outside-frame-small.jpg

This was pretty much solved by loosening the steering pump bolts, putting something in that hole, and prying up while tightening the steering pump bolts. Then I was able to (forcefully) get the last bolt in.

Apparently Smittybilt test-fit this bumper on a number of Cherokees from various years. I don't know how they possibly got this kit to work out of the box on those rigs, because as far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong), all XJs have that sway bar bracket in the frame. Of course this bumper also requires cutting the fenders on 1st-gen models, which I did. I still have some finishing work to do like trimming the fender liners and such:

fender-small.jpg

But here's the installed bumper:

installed-1-small.jpg

installed-2-small.jpg

All-in-all I'm happy with the bumper because despite the ridiculous amount of work I needed to do for it to bolt up, I only paid $400+tax and it gives me a way to mount my winch. If it were as expensive as some of the other bumpers out there I would have been far more upset about the fitment issues.

I'd love to hear other people's experiences with this bumper, whether it bolted right up or if you had issues similar to mine. Apparently Smittybilt has sold over 100 of these and I was the first to call about any issues. I will say that Eric at ProComp (the Smittybilt rep was on break) was a pleasure to work with and a huge Cherokee nut.

-Andrew

P.S.: The sketchy looking jack stand on the tire is just holding the engine in place while the tranny is out.

That may be true. I'm not sure if Smittybilt builds these in the US or imports them like their winches. Honestly, the quality of the bumper itself is pretty good. It does have a 5yr warranty on the powder coat and lifetime on the bumper itself. For the price it's hard to beat if you need a way to mount a winch.

That may be true. I'm not sure if Smittybilt builds these in the US or imports them like their winches. Honestly, the quality of the bumper itself is pretty good. It does have a 5yr warranty on the powder coat and lifetime on the bumper itself. For the price it's hard to beat if you need a way to mount a winch.

The bumper was Designed in the USA, An it was Built/Shipped from China just like the rest of S/B's Products !

When I worked for 4WP I can not count the amount of times we got a fresh shipment of their GEAR products an Tow straps that smelled like seawater.

This is some good info; i was considering this bumper for it's low price. I will have to to check my sway bar mounts ('00) to confirm it's position to the brackets.

I wouldn't have an issue drilling out some bolt holes, but that nut plate has gotten me a little scared.

I woulda asked for my money back and then some(for the extra trips and costs and time to you)

What a joke of a product. Sorry you had to be the guinea pig, but I'm glad to know to stay away!

It sounds like you talked to a nice guy, and thats great and all considering he was handling damage control, but did they even seem concerned or bothered or even apologetic that you were having to make so many modifications to something that should have been relatively bolt on?

It's not a bad looking bumper, But for the same price I bought my Rigid Fabrication FbW2 Winch bumper and Dirtbound Offroad Grill hoop kit. It should be ready for pick up this week !

no offense, but perhaps you have a monday jeep? the thing doesnt look 100% right, hell you have a spot weld that breaks half way into a bolt hole.
these things aren't known for their fit and finish, as far as i can tell. i've never seen an xj with perfect door, fender, and hood gaps all around.
every manufacturer has tolerances. it just may happen that the bumper and jeep are on opposite ends of the spectrum, or exceed it. it's not like you can just go and buy an xj cad file, complete with dimensions and tolerances. It's mostly trial and error to find a happy medium.
people never understand this when it comes to aftermarket products. as a manufacturer, it drives me nuts.

and this is coming from someone who hates chinese crap......

Last edited:
It’s pretty clear that if you are on this Jeep forum that you are XJ fanatics. I too love the XJ and have owned several models. You also have to know that the XJ was built from a farmers master mix of leftover parts. Complicate that with a right hand drive model and 18 year run of the same but slightly altered vehicles, it’s pretty tough to catch every change. When we design a new product, we grab a model from each body style change and hope that we catch all the differences. This is why the tech line is an invaluable tool for catching the year to year changes in a model. As we speak, drawings are being modified and parts will be changed in the next run. A little known fact about Smittybilt. All of the design for Smittybilt is done in Chula Vista California. This is where we build the first runs of new products until we get the bugs worked out. After the product goes over seas we closely work with the manufacture to make sure no quality is lost but the customer still gets a great low price.

Ryan Kennelly
research & development

I'd like to see more pictures of the mounts themselves? It looks like .120 plate at the factory mounting holes and two additional .120 tie in plates? That may be a little thin for the side loads a winch bumper can see.

That said I have met Ryan Kennelly a few times now - the first time, he happened by while I was badmouthing one of his products at King of the Hammers (xj pro-comp lift..).

Ryan took the time to put his money where is mouth was, and showed me beyond all shadow of a doubt he is working to build quality products and is succeeding at it.

The bumper looks well designed - decent clearance, 10 bolts mounting it, hi-lift points, shackle tabs.. and the warranty sounds pretty quality.

If there are fitment problems, I'm sure they will be addressed. I think I would run this bumper.

Cal

the factory frame is .075 all over then laminated in many spots to reduce cracks at the stress points. in the front bumper we picked up as much surface area as we could, and lowered the winch into the center of effort for a straight pull against the chassis. Its pretty clear, a 12,000 lb winch with a snatch block could pull a XJ in half.
lol We did lots of testing to make sure the bumper would stay in place. Id have no problems pulling out all your buddies in johnson valley.

thanks Cal, that was fun times in the old days of KOH. are you racing at Glen Helen?

Ryan Kennelly

Its on the calender. We're 50/50 if we will make it or not, but are trying. We really need to be there supporting the class and showing off our sponsors to the world, but work keeps sending me on these multi-leg business trips that eat up weeks at a time.

If we don't make it we'll run Dirt Riot in September instead, and then tear into the car for a quick overhaul and go full tilt at KOH 2013.

Back