• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

disabled after Coil/C101 connector clean

88trailcrawler

NAXJA Forum User
Cross posted in my local section too because the jeep is disabled and needs to get up and running.

Need some ideas quick. The jeep is disabled, sitting the driveway, need to get it running this weekend.

I did a coil/ICU connection cleaning. Pretty straigth forward. Dabbed a bit of OX guard on the connectors and carefully dropped it back in.

Then did a C101 connector cleaning. The tar/goop was messy and I used a lot of cleaner (appears it is just wire connectors, no electronics) I used both brake cleaner and electronics connector cleaner. I then gooped it up with OX guard and reconnection was pretty straigt forward. Access was easy, unlikely I damaged anything.

So...hooked the battery up. With the ignition on the buzzer and lights all work. Turn the key to start and no attempt to crank.

Any thoughts are appreciated a.s.a.p. I need to get this heep off the driveway and running.

My thoughts are that the cleaner damaged the C101 connector or that the OX guard is shorting between the individual pins?????

Last edited:
The dark green wire at the starter relay is the actuating power for the relay. It is usually (but not always) marked "I" near the spade connector on the relay.

I'd check for power at the starter relay green wire, then C-101 the dark green wire (there may be more than one) with the key in the start position.

I doubt the black wire with a stripe going fromt he starter relay to the neutral safety switch that grounds the relay, goes through the C-101 connector, it may.

One of the best things I ever did was snatch a complete harness out of a 88. I keep it in two buckets. It sure makes tracing the wiring a lot easier and saves a lot of time.

Something I've found beneficial in the past is to grab each individual wire at the back pf the connector with a pair of needle nose pliers. And gently tug. Sometimes the metal contacts back out of the connector. Most times all it takes is pushing it back in and gently tugging to make sure the little lock tab catches.

So read up and figured out the OX guard was not a good idea in the C101 connector. I cleaned it all out, but still no attempt to crank.

I didn't hear anything "zap" so not sure if I shorted/fried anything on the first attempt to start.

I'll go check for power to the starter relay.......IF the OxGuard allowed current between the pins in the C101, am I going be chasing down multiple items that are potentially fried.......:cry:

Back