• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Shock Length double checking

TheCodeMonk

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Hey all,

I just wanted to double check and make sure my numbers didn't seem WAY off. As many other posts have told me (and others) to do, I took out the shocks and went out and found a spot to sort of flex out the jeep (at least to the point where the tires were about to rub and then I got out the measuring tape.

The numbers I came up with for the fronts were:
Collapsed: 16"
Extended: 24"
Bump Stop extensions needed: 3"
(Static is about 19")

The jeep currently is sitting with a 2" lift on 33's and the bushwacker flat flares (next plan is to go up to 3.5" lift to allow more uptravel, but...pending funds, ya know?)

Do those numbers sound about right?

This whole thing came from the fact that my old shocks are worn out and that my upper shock bushings were disintegrating every two weeks. >.<

On the upper shock bushings, were they poly?
Had a set of poly stem bushings partially melt and turn themselves inside out within 30 mins of washboard road. Went back to rubber and they have been fine for 4+ years.

On the upper shock bushings, were they poly?
Had a set of poly stem bushings partially melt and turn themselves inside out within 30 mins of washboard road. Went back to rubber and they have been fine for 4+ years.

They were rubber...I was about to try poly, but now I'm starting to wonder what else could be causing this.

Thecodemonk, I am sitting at 4" on 2" lift shocks. My thing is I upgraded to bar pin eliminators and switched out the upper shaft to an eye type setup. This solved my bushing problem...

OP: FWIW, I am sitting on 4.5-5.5" and my shocks are roughly the same ext/collapsed, if anything, I suspect the are too long.

Thecodemonk, I am sitting at 4" on 2" lift shocks. My thing is I upgraded to bar pin eliminators and switched out the upper shaft to an eye type setup. This solved my bushing problem...

That sounds like a good idea...so the bar pin eliminator and conversion mount on top removes about 2 inches?

Also, @souske: Thanks for the confirmation! I feel much better ordering something close to those specs. :)

More like 1.5". JKS top adapters =1.1, BPE = .4, but double check.

Back