• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hard acceleration had intermittent bang, now 2nd gear issue

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I've done a little looking and can't find anyone who has had this same issue.

'88 XJ Limited with 190k, AW4/242

A few months ago I started getting an intermittent clunk/bang when accelerating hard. Mostly from a stop, but it also happened during hard accelerations from 30-40mph. It seemed that if I let off the gas once it started I could get it to go away, and the time between each 'bang' was related to my speed. It started out not happening often, increased in frequency, then I just started babying it and not accelerating hard at all - the problem all but went away (steep hills would remind me why I was driving like a grandma). And yes, sometimes it would happen even if I wasn't accelerating all that fast (no faster then 95% of drivers, I'd say - I now accelerate like the 5%) - but it definitely was more likely to happen during hard acceleration.

Then the fun started, I pulled my trans. pan this last weekend with the hopes that a new filter and some new fluid would help. The next day, when accelerating (.5/.75 throttle) up a steep hill, the transmission completely missed 2nd gear and made a loud grinding sound while losing drive power (though I wasn't moving, sounded like RPMs were high but gauge was at 1k) until I put it into neutral and back into drive. I thought maybe my fluid level was off, turns out it was a little high so I drain some out, checked it 5 times and called it good. It's since done that several times, while I was babying it (slow acceleration).

So again, transmission seems to miss 2nd gear causing a loss of drive power. This creates a loud sounds, like revving the engine to 4-5k, but the tach reads 1k - sound is slightly more grinding sounding. Putting it into neutral and back into drive gets the Jeep back into a working gear, every time so far. My intermittent 'bang' seems to have gone away, though it's possible (likely, I think) that the bang and the 2nd gear issue are related.

Things done to chase down bang:
-Changed rear diff fluid/inspected gears
-Removed front driveshaft
-Swapped rear driveshaft and replaced a u-joint
-Inspected for any loose or worn drive/suspension related parts
-Disconnected the battery to 'kill' the computer (ya never know?)

FWIW, TPS is about two years old and is (was) adjusted properly by my local Jeep experts.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

No one? Come on...please. :)

u need a new 2nd gear ring and band setup. sounds like u broke the shifting band. u can tear it completly down and redo it and hope it works or just get a jy one

I had something similar happen while driving my '99 Limited about a month ago. Started only when hard accelerating at highway speeds, but it gradually occurred at slower and slower speeds until today when I lost all ability to move. Even in neutral there is a grinding sound.

Based on my research, going the junkyard method is definitely more cost effective.

Back