• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

loud clicking noise from rear

JoeyBottles

NAXJA Forum User
On my 99 i have a loud clicking noise from what seems to be my driver side rear wheel. i tiok apart the drum, and i had a broken self-adjusting cable broken. This noise started after wheeling. I replaced the cable, and both u-joints on the rear shaft. Im thinking I'm going to replace the wheel cylinder next. This noise begins when I take off, or decelerate. It also seems to happen when I downshift and slow down. Does anyone feel like it could be my pinion? Any suggestions? Thanks everyone in advance.

It doesn't get any louder with speed. It's usually when I'm slowing down and taking off. Between 0-25 mph. I woudl say it mores rhythmic in the sense its predictable when it's going to happen. I don't hear anything on the highway, or driving down the street after the 25mph. It definitely sounds like it is coming from the driver side rear drum.

Let me explain a little bit better. It's not a continuous noise. It only happens when I take off or slow down. It happens when I use my clutch to go from first to second, or down shifting from second to first. I don't think it could be my wheel bearings because those were replaced less than 1,000 miles ago when I did an axle swap. And I don't think its my clutch because its coming from the rear. I did have my self-adjuster cable snap, and I replaced that.

noises are hard to track if not there. it can be clutch or trany related just sounding like its from a dif area. could also be the exhaust hiting on some thing. best thing is put it on a lift stands or dyno and drive while some one listens that knows wat there doing.

then u need to try and get to place were u can have under load and check then. cuz if its weight sensitive then it be some thing not engaging rite or jumping

its hard to say without being there to diagnose it. if you think it might be because of that cable I would take it apart and check it again... maybe you forgot to put something back like a spring. but if thats the case I would think it would make noise all the time.

As far as accelerating and decelerating, that puts more pressure on your driveline and would lead me to check your ring gear for a chipped or missing tooth.

Ok, guys thank you. I'm going to check the springs first. It seems like there may be a bent spring. I'm still going to replace the wheel cylinder this upcoming weekend. I'll let you guys know. Again, thanks for all the help.

I'm a firm believer of the just turn the radio up method... And I'll find out what that noise is when it breaks :) PERFECT example!! I hadda clicking/ tapping noise I was hearing in my front end... Well after my trip to calico and blowing out my front UCA bushing I replaced the blown out one and inspected my suspected good one, well guess what that one was on its last leg too... Fixed em both and the jeep rides like a shiny penny and no more noises :)

I narrowedbitbdown to the drum. Someone who looked at it witj me said they dont think its the wheel cylinder. I'm going to replace everything on that drum and see where im at, if its still there i'm taking maxxx's advice anf it is what it is until it breaks, thrn its going to be a disc conversion. p.s. definitely not a nail or anything like that.

Back