• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Place in SD to repair driveshaft?

01_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just took my front driveshaft out of my xj, and am needing to either get it fixed or find a replacement. It started making a really bad squealing noise a few days back and was vibrating when driven. Turns out that I think it's the joint at the rear part of the shaft, since it binds up in certain places when I move it through it's range of motion.

Any recommendations? btw this is for a 2001 with a 4.0/AW4/231.

Most likely the grease in the ball of the double cardan joint has dried up, its not too difficult to take it apart and clean it out then repack it with grease. If there is any play in it though the ball may be worn down and needs replacing.

Yeah, after killing my first one due to lack of grease, I try to lube it every other oil change. Making up a small greasegun with the conical tapered adapter makes this much easier.

Greasegun - around 12 bucks at holmes depot, the adapter is around 8 at napa.
Lot cheaper than new centering balls.

Technically. Altough, those in the know on some other boards know that in some cases it's cheaper just to buy a new one from Tom Woods then it is to have some of the shops rebuild/balance an existing one.

Soooo I don't see a ball inside that joint at all, it actually looks hollow in there. Ill try to take a pic later once I'm back at home. Either way, I'm gonna head to the place in EC since its pretty close and see what the damage is gonna be to get it fixed.

EC drive shaft is good people. The dude that runs it kind of a curmudgeon, but he's a straight shooter and will take care of it.

pricing is fair, but that CV might be kind of spendy. Might be worth it to find a used driveshaft with a good CV and just get the U-joint refreshed...

at the very least you could see if there is a problem in there and decide what to do next. if the ball part is grooved or pitted at all though it's best to just replace it... but just about every one i've taken apart has just needed to be cleaned of old dried out grease and re-packed.

Back