• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Shop

CrimsnTide

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for a HONEST, reliable and knowledgeable shop to take a look at my 1999 AW-4 transmission. I pulled this transmission out of a '99 XJ 4x4, but going to put it in a 99 Wrangler. The XJ supposedly had 160,000ish miles on it. So, before going to all the work of installing, I'm THINKING I should maybe have it looked at.

I live in Anaheim, work in L.A. and OFTEN go to San Diego. For the criteria listed above, I'm willing to travel.

Anyone care to throw me a name?

California transmission in Hawthorne, or Inglewood Transmission in Fullerton. Inglewood trans built the only trans that hasn't blown up in my buddy's 1200hp drag diesel truck they do great work.

You're almost wasting your time rebuilding a 160k aw4..

I've seen a few AW4's come out of Mogi trans, but not run one. We run a trans built by 'all automatic transmissions' in bakersfield on the race car, it seems to shift pretty good.

Overbeys in La Habra has done good work on an Explorer and Windstar we've owned in the past.

I have an automatic trans from a 1992 4.0L cherokee, it has an NP-242 attached to it. I'd be willing to sell them both or seperately. They've been sitting in my garage for about 9 months and worked perfectly prior to removal from the vehicle. PM me if interested.

You're almost wasting your time rebuilding a 160k aw4..

I've seen a few AW4's come out of Mogi trans, but not run one. We run a trans built by 'all automatic transmissions' in bakersfield on the race car, it seems to shift pretty good.

Cal, your remark peaked my curiosity. Do you NOT like the AW-4? Do you feel 160K is too soon to look at a rebuild? I have no knowledge of previous history of this XJ... I just found a 99 being parted out and went for it... I really don't want to go through the whole swap and then learn the trans does sip, leak or that it even doesn't run...

Care to give a little more explanation?

Thanks for all the replies. Although this build is not for a crawler by any means, I just don't want ANY problems after this swap. I hate to go by prices in determining which shop... But I would like the best bang for my buck.

I *LOVE* the AW4. 160 is nothing though, unless you see signs of problems.. There are probably a million 250k+ miles XJ's out there with original aw4's still going strong. I've got one in the driveway with 355k and while you can tell it shifts a little firmer than a 100k jeep, its still solid and strong.

I think you're just throwing money away.

Cal,

I like the way you think....

So, my original post was in part looking for an HONEST shop.... Can (or will) a shop take a look at trans or will they just want to remove and rebuild. I've got it sitting on the floor and I have debated for awhile to just take the plunge and have it rebuilt... But I know I am probably looking anywhere from $1400 - $1900.... My firsts thoughts were to just take it in and have the seals replaced for a MINIMUM...

Thoughts...

Again, going into a Wrangler - but, I just don't want to have to pull it again. It's not big deal, but I want to be done - when I'm done....

The shop that I know and trust is up in Bakersfield. I don't really know any local shops that I'd suggest..

Myself, I'd just bolt it in and run. 160K is broken in, but only barely, on a 4.0/aw4 combo. I'd say your chances of a fresh rebuild having a problem is greater than the odds of that trans having a problem - it has 160,000 miles of proving that it is put together right..

Back