• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pro comp xterrain review?

jeepfreak1020

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone see and know how the pro comp xterrain tires do? How they do on the rocks and snow. Been thinking about trying a set after my Km2s.

I have these on my DD truck. They ride quiet and show little wear after 20K. I think they came with a 50,000 mile warranty which I believe is accomplished using a very hard compound. On wet pavement they are arent the greatest at all and dry they spin easily as well

just saw someone put a 2" gash in the sidewall this weekend, sidewalls appear to be very weak. they are only 2 ply.

Suicidal. Hade a pair and they only lates maybe 10,000 miles. mud they just plug up and for the snow they are horrible, no traction bad pattern design. DONT DO IT.. Ive found the BF Goodridge mud terrians to be the best mud tires. They ride quietly good wear good in mud havent tried in the snow yet

I have two friends that had them and will never own them again. They complain of poor grip dirt/sand/mud/snow and poor wear characteristics. I do love my Firestone destination M/T's so far (second set) great grip amazing in snow/mud/desert. Good wear so far.

Had these as well on my old pre-runner, they sucked tore big chunks out of the tread first trip out on them, always ran BFG AT's before and went back as soon as I dumped them to a buddy of a buddy, their still sitting in his garage so who knows how they will hold up for him.

The ones I had were 2ply sidewall, 33X12.50X15 on 10" rims. The vehicle was a YJ with a locker in the back. Trail pressure was 20psi max.

Never had a traction issue. Mine did fine in mud, snow, and rocks. Sand was another ball game entirely, they just dug in.

The road manners were fine on dry pavement or snow. Rain, wasn't too bad, but ice sucked big time.

They are noisy. You will sound like an AG truck rolling down the Hwy.

They made the sidewall in 2 or 3 ply depending on what you want to pay.

I never aired one out on the trail. I lost one on a sharp piece of industrial garden trim (3" high, 1/6" wide steel) that was sticking out into the area between the garage and the door. Ripped it right open. Well, since the same piece of trimming got my hand the same way a year later (Ouch!!), it kinda made sense.

All in all, I liked them for trail tires, but not street tires. After the last set went west, I bought a quieter set of tires (BFGs). They may not get around as good Off-Road, but they sure are quieter!! Depending on what you use them for, you could buy a much cheaper tire, that does just as nicely. Last set I priced out was pretty spendy, and I ended up with a nice set of Hankook ATMs at my lock Discount Tire.

No first hand experience with the Xterrains, but I've heard plenty of bad things about them.

I do have first hand experience with the Pro Comp MTs, Xtreme MTs, and Xtreme ATs, they all wore out prematurely and sucked offroad until they're aired down. My dad has a set of the Xtreme ATs on his JK right now, they're pretty quiet on the road, handle ok, but they're wearing out super fast. Almost down to 25% tread on 2 of the tires in around 10k miles...

I ran them on my TJ back in 2003 the wore out fast, sucked in mud , they stuck to rocks like glue, they were good in sand, they also sliced sidewalls easily.

to get a 3ply sidewall you Used to have to go to a 35" or larger min. I doubt they have changed that, but in the 3ply sidewall they are good tires. Not great, but just as good as a BFG KM2.

Thanks for all the help guys. Deff wont buy them lol

And I love my KM2's. But no place around here can get them. Everyone tell me there on backorder. 4wp, discount, big o

I have had pretty good luck with Super Swamper SSR. The are a radial that isn't too bad on the road. And they are super tough off road.

Whatdo you not like about you KM2's?

I ran KM2's on my jeep and I will never do it again. They were pretty much dangerous on slick roads or if you needed lateral traction. Like on a side hill in the mud or snow. The tread design turns them into ice skates if they get going sideways.

To stay on topic, I had XTerrains on an old jeep. Like everyone else said, they were pretty much worthless except in one area. Slickrock. I've never had a tire grip slickrock they way they did.

Back