• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Writeups for NP 231 input shaft swaps...

mopar440

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody know of a good writeup for swapping input shafts on an NP 231? Need to replace my transfer case, found one but it's for an automatic and mine's a 5 speed... need to swap shafts... never had one apart before, and knowledge is power!!! Need to do this soon so we can get the latest XJ out there on the trail!

Are you sure? Thought auto was a little longer than manual... hopefully I'm wrong... both rigs are '95, mines AX-15, doner is AW4... confirm?

Your trans may have a longer tail housing, but the inputs on the transfer
Cases will be the same. As Eric said, pre 90 was different. 21 spline vs 23 spline count

94 and later AX15s require a longer input shaft on the Xfer case, if you don't swap the inputs you full not have full spline engagement.

Interesting to know!!! Thanks joe for that bit of knowledge!!!

I just did one and here is what I did. I found the input gear in Portland at All Transmissions On Argyle St. I had 2 complete cases an 88 & 87 I tool the 88 apart rebuilt it with the new gear ( $75 ) all new seals, chain & fork pads. It really wasn't that hard. Not alot of parts in there to get mixed up. Just have a clean bench and should be fine. All the inside parts cost $140, SYE and it worked great the first time out. If you need assembly help, just ask!!

Back