• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Trans in a ZJ?

ERock62

NAXJA Forum User
I am posting this for a friend of mine. He picked up a 95 Grand Cherokee 4x4 (AW4, 4.0L). The trans went out and he has been told by a shop that it needs to replaced or rebuilt fully.

I have been searching around craigslist and found a deal on an AW4 w/ t-case out of a 91 XJ. Can this be swapped in without any issues? Thanks!

It was my understanding that only the 93 ZJ (first year) with a 4.0L came with an AW4. I believe the later ones came with the POS 42rh/e? If so, 46rh/e is a decent upgrade.

That is correct. Only 93 had the AW4 transmission. Then it was downhill from there for the grand cherokee in the transmission department.

You can make an AW4 work in a 95 ZJ but I am sure it will require at the very least some custom wiring and electronics trickery and may also require changing driveshaft lengths and other stuff.

Back