• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some advice regarding transmission removal

Stormwalker

NAXJA Forum User
My brother's 98 Cherokee has an issue with it's transmission (it became stuck in 5th gear while driving, and has been stuck there ever since).

Since we presumed the transmission toast, we sourced an AX-15 from a 94 Cherokee.

We attempted to remove the transmission, but ran into a problem with the top bellhousing bolts. We got the one by the CPS removed, but we can't figure out how to get the other top bolt out. Using creative extensions and swivel joints isn't working for us, and we can get a regular 3/8" wrench on it from above, but no way to put enough torque on it to break the bolt loose. I believe the bolts are the inverted torx style bolts, but we were able to get the one out using a 3/8" 12 point socket.

I looked around for any writeups or anything, but could't find anything. Anyone have any tips or tricks for removing the top bolts on the AX-15? Thanks much.

Loosen the front motor mounts. That will allow the engine to tip back a bit. They are reverse torx.

How much extension are you using? When I had to deal with them, I went to sears and got a 20" extension, it maes all kinds of jobs easier

A couple of 16-20" wobble-head extensions turning a Torx E [for external] "12" socket. Drop the tranny cross member a few inches and get your brother to spot the socket from above while you turn a 3/8 ratchet from below. That's what worked on my 2000 auto.

summit94

You m,ay have to put the lower bolts back in to unload the top bolts when loosening. Get them good and loose first before starting the others. If you have the right Torx socket they should come out. In a pinch you can use a Torx front sway bar bolt head welded into an old socket, too.

Back