• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NV3550 interchangeability with AX15

Hemihed426

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys, couldn't find this in search so here goes. I'm building a 4x4 out of a 2x4 MJ truck. My second on I've done, the first one I used an AX!% trans and 231 T/C out of a 98 XJ, so no worries there. What I have now is a NV3550 out of a 04 Wrangler. Seems if I recall correctly there was some difference in the T/C clocking from an XY to TJ using the AX15 trans. What I need to know is will the 3550 with a 231 T/C out of an XJ a bolt-in or do I have to change some "clocking"? Thanks in Advance.

The TJ/YJ versions are "clocked flatter" to improve ground clearance - but this is done at the tcase adapter housing.

I have heard of people redrllling the stud holes in the tcase adapter housing with good results (the clocking is set by the adapter, not the case,) but I don't have any particulars.

I'm reasonably sure that the AX-15 and NV3550 transfer case adapter housings do not swap, so that's not an option.

Worst case? You can drop the NV3550 off here and get it out of your hair...:)

Here you go...

The Novak Guide to the
Jeep NVG 3550 Transmission

nv3550_transmission.jpg
The New Venture Gear 3550 was released in the Jeep TJ Wrangler and XJ Cherokee in 2000, as the replacement to the AX15 transmission. It is also found in Dodge downsized pickups. It's last year in the Jeep was 2004, after which it was replaced by the NSG370 six-speed.
The 3550 is a takeoff from the New Process 3500 as found in smaller GM truck applications, though all external case features are different.
Features
The 3550 is a top-shifting, longitudinally-loaded transmission. It features five speeds with a direct drive fourth gear and an overdriven fifth gear. It is fully synchronized in all gears, excepting reverse, and has helically cut gears for all speeds.
Identification
The NV3550 is 16.7" long and has a cast aluminum case with generous ribbing. With its removable Jeep I6 bellhousing, it measures 23.1". The front bolt pattern is oval shaped and has dowel pins for precision centering alignment to the bellhousing. The front bearing retainer has an integral throwout sleeve for a conventional throwout bearing.
nv3550_top_view.jpg
Spline count for the input shaft is 10 splines x 1-1/8" diameter. The output shaft has 23 splines and is flush with the rear face of the transfer case adapter flange.
NV3550 Specs at a Glance:
Make: New Venture Gear
Length: 16.7"
Height:
Weight: 97 lbs.
Case: Cast aluminum
PTO Port: None
Mfg. Torque Rating: 300 ft. lbs.
Gear Ratios (Jeep): (x-to-1):
4.01 2.33 1.391.00.78R3.57

Transmission Strength
The 3550 has a fairly generous torqe transmitting capacity (for a transmission of its size) as claimed by it manufacturer. Experience would suggest that it is about the same strength as the AX15, though a small number of failures have been reported to us by our customers. These were probably situations involving extreme terrain or improper use of the overdrive gear.
Popular transmissions to replace the 3550 for higher performance Jeeps include the SM20, SM465, T18 and NP435 four-speeds.
Transfer Case Compatability
The Jeep 3550 was factory married to the NP231 and NP241OR transfer cases. It features the common Jeep / Dodge 6-bolt transfer case mounting face for driver's side drop transfer cases. The 23 spline output shaft makes it compatible with the 23 spline version of the NP231.

Back