• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf spring options on plow XJ?

Jeepm@n

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99XJ that has a 6'-6" Meyer plow. The front ball joints, steering knuckles, axle shaft joints, brakes, and shocks are all new. I have fully adjustable air shocks front and rear. I noticed when I put the ballast (500lb) in the back that even with the air shocks it wanted to hit the bump stops at times while plowing this winter.

I do not want to change shocks as I just put the air shocks in, and I'm not scared of changing the leaf springs but which one's should I get? During the winter I run LT225/75R16 tires and tow a 5x12 trailer with electric brakes for hauling firewood out of the woods. During the summer I put on the LT225/75R15 tires and tow a small 14' boat and I also pull my dual axle popup camper for less than 100 mile trips. If it nets me a small lift I do not care but I do not want it riding like a tank either.

Not I'd like to keep it under $275 as I'm getting JKS sway bar disconnects for the front and need a complete exhaust yet.

Q-tec has the crown HD replacement leaves, as do other places. A bastard pack would work as well.

How much extra weight capacity is in the crown heavy duty?
For a bastard pack what main would be ideal? Do I just add a leaf or two to my old one's?

I want to say the Crown HD gives about 1" lift and probably 750lbs or more? Not sure.I know they are better than OEM stock.
You would use XJ main, best thing probably would be to use an add'l XJ main, cut off part of where the bushing would be so it partially wraps around the main. A single leaf should be fine. Too many and you lift more than you want. I guess you could add a smaller one as well.

How much air are you running in the rear shocks and which bump stops are on the back of it? We've run air shocks on the back of 4 different stock height XJ's over a 20 year time period and usually run anywhere from 30-40 in all of them. Dad's two XJ's were railroad use and he usually ran that much weight in his from work equipment. Mine usually doesn't have to carry as much weight, but has when needed. Normally the 30-40 psi is good for most driving on and off road and the handling was best at that pressure range. I made the mistake of buying a pair of UpCountry bump stops for mine (still stock height), and usually can't run less than 40psi in it now (I'm fat and have a weight lifting habit, So I'm anything but light) without hitting those stops. Last weekend Dad (who also exactly skinny) and I tookit to the local Menards for drywall (6 sheets on the roof rack) and some other stuff and even with 50-60psi, it would still hit them on the slightest bump.

The HD leaves won't be quite enough, IMO, with 500lbs in the back. I have those leaves, and MJ shackles, and 540 lbs in the back made it squat noticeably.

I did have all of that weight behind the rear seat. If your ballast is better distributed, it might not be as bad. I had 14 or 15 "40lb" bags of sopping wet topsoil stacked up against the hatch.

I had almost 90 psi in the shocks. They are rated to 120 psi. I put two 100lb plates on the back seat floor pan on each side and the back between the wheel wells I use metal punching's that are bagged and boxed for older Gendex x-rays. Each box is 3"x3"x12" and weighs 25lbs. (300lbs) For the back.

It has factory bump stops. I'm going to call a place near me called Michigan/Wisconsin spring.

Back