• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Two questions

werewoulf3

NAXJA Forum User
well my SYE install was a success, but it is leaking around the output shaft, everything was install correctly to the best of my knowledge........and number two, at the time of my install, i replaced the front ujoint.......and its already goin bad, why so early? its about a $20 ujoint, should i buy a more expensive one?

when you installed the u-joint did you relive the stress in the joint? nothing fancy to it just smack the driveshaft yoke end with a hammer (it re-aligns the needles as the tend to get jammed and cocked during u-joint install). Also check your pinion angle as well. Both are quick u-joint killers.
As for why it's (output) leaking ... could be a number of reasons ... what SYE did you use?

The output shaft seals are VERY temperamental, the slightest of knicks, and they'll leak all over the place. Use a TON of grease when putting them in, and a trick I learned is to wrap the the splines of the shaft with electrical tape first, then pull it off after the install, with all the grease, it'll come right off, but its enough there to keep the splines from knicking/cutting/folding the seal.

Cheap u-joints are cheap for reason. Use Spicer u-joints.

The SYE yoke star washer should be well coated with RTV Silicone to prevent leakage.

Back