• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which AT Tire Has the Stongest Sidewall?

98XJFEAT

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone,
I'm purchasing Treadwright ATG A/T tires in LT235/75R15 load class C for my 98 XJ with 2" BB from OME.

I want to order the casings with the most durable sidewalls. Treadwright's Production Manager said that the following casings are available for this tire and size:

1. Goodyear Silent Armor
  2. BFG Commercial and AT KO
  3. Michelin LTS M/S, XC LT4, LTX A/S, LTX M/S2, X LT and XCH4
  4. Toyo AT and HT.
  5. Yoko AT-S, HT-S, AT, IT and HT.

I'd appreciate your help in selecting the right casing.

Thank you,
Doug

I would think the BFG would have the strongest sidwall. What does the tire guy think. He is the expert. Good luck.

I'd go

Goodyear
Yoko

In that order. that's based on bast history with the brands, and not specific experience with those two tires.

I will agree wtih XJLI that BFG has one of the weakest sidewalls available.

look at the new falken rocky mountains, i think their sidewall beats the rest now.

it's thicker than the goodyear, toyo and yoko when i compaired them the other day. plus it's cheaper

You could assume a thicker sidewall based on higher overall tire weight per tread width and depth. Just to give you an idea or starting point maybe. Tirerack is a good resource for finding tire specs.

im liking these cooper sst's so far, 3 ply sidewalls, seemed pretty beefy. really nice tread pattern. i agree on bfg's, i had a couple gashed ones.

I'd go

Goodyear
Yoko

In that order. that's based on bast history with the brands, and not specific experience with those two tires.

I will agree wtih XJLI that BFG has one of the weakest sidewalls available.
This is truth. The silent armor is a very tough tire. But the Yoko's are super tough as well.
FWIW....Ive worked in tire industry, both selling and repairing/replacing for over 5 years.

First, thanks very much for all of your replies.:thumbup:

I've heard that although they are 3-ply, the BFG T/A KO has a weak sidewall.

I was thinking that the Toyo AT would have a durable sidewall, because of the reputation of their MT, but I've read otherwise about the AT in a few places.

So it sounds like it's between these three in no particular order:
  1. Goodyear Silent Armor
  2. Yoko AT
  3. Toyo AT

Please let me know what you think of the options. Thank you.

Id have to go with the Toyo A/T's. I have them on my DD and I've put them thru more abuse then I thought they would hold. I've had them in deep rock while aired down and put those sidewalls thru hell. I've had the sidewalls wrapped around rocks and they took it like a champ. I unseated a bead I've had so much force on them and the sidewalls were fine. I can't say enough good things about my Toyos, I would not hesitate to run them.

Id have to go with the Toyo A/T's. I have them on my DD and I've put them thru more abuse then I thought they would hold. I've had them in deep rock while aired down and put those sidewalls thru hell. I've had the sidewalls wrapped around rocks and they took it like a champ. I unseated a bead I've had so much force on them and the sidewalls were fine. I can't say enough good things about my Toyos, I would not hesitate to run them.

I wish I could agree, I've only been running my toyo ATs for 3 weeks on my dd and so far I've destroyed two of them on easy gravel roads. One was a 2" gash through the treads and another was on the sidewall. I'll never run them again.

the toyo a/t's look like street tires anyways. i have a more agressive tread pattern on my saturn :D

Tread pattern isn't An issue, he's ordering retreads. He's just looking for the strongest carcass as a base.

I appreciate you restating this. I only have the casing options listed in my first post as options. Tread pattern has already been decided because I am ordering the Treadwright ATG.

I'm happy to hear about other tire alternatives because it might help someone else decide what tire they like. I guess in short, no worries.:cheers:

Back