• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Two things (Brown Santa is In)

mikedashg

NAXJA Forum User
My new HD front dana 30 diff cover shipped with "all new Stainless fasteners" and they are grade 5. Was kind of surprised they weren't grade 8. Is that overkill or something? Honestly I just default to grade 8 on just about everything. Figure it couldn't hurt in the way I use my Jeep. I sort of want to run to Napa and get some anodized grade 8's. Opinions?

Also, I've been wheeling for 12 years, and I never have ONCE wished I had a snatch block on the trail (ha, ha, yes I said snatch, too easy, let it go). I've always wanted to carry one anyway, just in case, so I bought one. But boy this thing is HEAVY. Kind of don't want to carry it now to save on the weight. Why the heck did I buy it? There's usually something or someone to grab onto on the trail when I wheel, so I've never really wanted to pull from another angle. I've also never seemed to really need to "double the power" of my 9.5K winch. I wheel the rocks at Johnson Valley, so it's not like I haven't TRIED to need to use winch tools. I've for sure used the winch though. Someone convince me to carry it, or put it up on the for sale section, lol.

Grade 8 is overkill on the diff cover....but it you really want them :dunno:

I wheel a lot in So. Utah and recall of a couple of recoveries in tight canyons that we couldn't have done with a snatch block......but if it's too heavy for your rig, I'll give you $20 for it.

thats like when customers bring me all this 'armor' or susp items that come with reg ole grade 5 hardware, with split style lock washers. What a joke...

How much more would upgrading say 10 -1/4"bolts with split locks and nuts, be in comparision to grade 8 bolts and flat washers (since split locks, just distort and fall out over time anyways), with NYLOC grade 8 nuts? maybe 3$ difference.

But on a rocker guard that hopfully gets hit once or ten times, why not upgrade to grade8 and nylocs?

Maybe its just me, but I like to do it once and not have to worry about the fasteners. And if 3-5$ is too much to add in for the same overall price of the item, TELL me that I will need better hardware if product is to be abused.

Which snatch block did you buy? My dad's weighs 20lbs max, and he just keeps it under his seat, a snatch block really isn't all that heavy or space consuming IMO. :dunno:

Go grade 8 bolts. It will help stiffin the front pumpkin
Keep the snatch close by. I don't let my snatch out of my sight!

I most use the snatch block to pull trees off the trail.

Double it up for big trees or use it for a better angle to get the tree off the trail instead of just dragging it along side the trail

Sometimes I think two snatches would be nice, but one is all you really need to get the job done.

I'd just use the bolts. I doubt you will EVER have any reason for grade 8 bolts there. For a winch, bumper, leaf springs, steering box and things like that, go grade 8 if specified or if you can.

For differential bolts, there is simply no reason too waste your time.

Back