• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Safari Snorkel in a 1998 Sport with ABS

Marcelo73

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a Safari Snorkel for my 1998. It comes with a washer bottle to relocate the original. The problem I have is that the place where the diagram shows to attatch the bottle seems to be for a right hand model.

I read other threads that recommends use a pre 96 whaser bottle but it seems that only work if it doesn't have ABS.

Someone had this issue before?

Is it possible that the shipper (incorrectly) assumed you have a RHD?
You know what they say, a picture is worth a thousand words...

Is it possible that the shipper (incorrectly) assumed you have a RHD?
You know what they say, a picture is worth a thousand words...

I don't think so. I bought at Amazon with the correct code. I don't think in USA they sell for RHD. The problem is in Australia they drive over the wrong side :)

I guess if nobody installed one of this in a +98 with ABS I will have to improvise.

yes .. I removed my ABS system do to swapping in a Dana44, honestly my abs sucked on my 96 ob2 xj.

In my plans is swapping my D35 for an OEM 8.25 (I know, it's expensive, probably the first to install an OEM axle but I can't find a place that sells online complete axles a better price. I tried with usedrearaxles.com but didn't receive an answer about their products).

By now the holes are already done and the air box sealed. I guess the next week the snorkel will be ready. I'm looking for other bottle that can fix. If not I have 3 options:

1) Remove the ABS
2) Move the battery to the back of the rig.
3) Use a plastic bottle with a couple of holes in the cap and squeeze manually over the windshield :roll:

The snorkel is already installed. I'm looking for now a small bottle that fix in space left by the engine. For those with this configuration is almost impossible to install the one that comes with the kit without removing something (ABS, battery, etc).

The snorkel is already installed. I'm looking for now a small bottle that fix in space left by the engine. For those with this configuration is almost impossible to install the one that comes with the kit without removing something (ABS, battery, etc).

We used a ZJ (V8) model washer bottle for my cousin-in-laws 98 XJ . The sprayer motor plugs are identical and plug right up. Here's some pics. When I find another one in the local junk yard im gonna do the same for my new 99 XJ that I just picked up a few months ago.

2011-06-09_16-20-25_970.jpg

2011-06-09_16-20-50_942.jpg

2011-06-09_16-21-13_887.jpg

2011-06-09_16-21-54_153.jpg

2011-06-09_16-22-31_637.jpg

Last edited:
This weekend I will find out how hard is getting in mud without water and if the snorkel is well installed.

Aquipomar: where you installed the new bottle I have the ABS stuff (in the last picture the black cylinder and white box with many tubes over the right).

Souske: here are some pictures of the engine bay. A couple have the new bottle just put to give an idea of the size and the space.

DSCF1412.jpg

DSCF1414.jpg

DSCF1415.jpg

DSCF1416.jpg

DSCF1478.jpg

DSCF1479.jpg

DSCF1480.jpg

DSCF1481.jpg

Hey, ya I didn't realize that where the ABS module was. Never seen one with ABS so didn't know that's where it was. Looking at your engine bay I don't see much room for anything. Only option I see,... would be to move the battery to the back cargo area like you said previously and put the washer bottle there. But that may be a little more work then you want to do. You'd have to extend the power and ground for the battery and extend all the wires and tubing for the washer bottle.

aquickmopar: the ABS came with the D35 rear axle. I guess more common in the foreign that in USA.

Souske: I'm doing that now. I will find out this weekend how hard is to getting in the mud without it :)

I am familiar with your problem! I also have a late model XJ (1997) with ABS. I relocated the stock Washer Fluid Reservoir to the passenger fender when I installed my ARB Safari Snorkel. I used a simple bracket and drilled a hole in my fender to support the reservoir. This location necessitated longer wires for the sprayer motors and longer fluid lines in the engine compartment. The increased distance didn't seem to affect the sprayer motors ability to push the fluid at all. I also had to eliminate the elbow filler and cap from the reservoir. I replaced it with a stock fluid reservoir cap from an early model XJ. I think I had to enlarge my reservoir opening a little bit. Biggest downside is the dirt that collects in here from the trails, but honestly it isn't that big of a deal. 5 or 6 years now, and it's holding up fine, so I'm satisfied.

The reservoir tucks up nicely in the passenger fender and you can barely see the retaining screw:
IMG_9647.JPG

The screw is removed to drop the bracket and bottle for refilling:
IMG_9654.JPG

Re-installing after topping off the reservoir - you can see the retaining screw a bit easier here because it hasn't been tightened up:
IMG_9660.JPG

Last edited:
Here's another picture of the underside of the relocated reservoir so you can see the single "L" bracket - a very simple piece of off the shelf hardware - that I used to hold the bottle in place. It's a pretty snug fit anyways, so that helps keep it tucked up and out of the way.

IMG_9648.JPG

And a shot of the 're-fill' procedure. Ha!

IMG_9657.JPG

kndrewa: Thanks for the pictures. Never tought in put the bottle under the other side. I will try it. Thanks again.

I see that you reeplaced the D35. What do you do with the ABS system?

Back