• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Death wobble! and bad TRE roll!!

jeepfreak1020

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I have never had death wobble before. I just finished swapping HP44's. Old bent 44 for a new straight 44. Same of everything. Same steering, trac bar, truss everything. I installed brand new TRE on my tie rod. I have a OTK set up like JCR's. And had to replace the upper ball join on the driver side. But the others were just fine. Only needed one. I also installed a brand new set of 35 MTR's. After I got everything installed I took it for a drive, and it drove weird. Like the steering was loose, and was getting really bad TRE roll. Ive heard the MTR's drive diff then others tires, and when aired up to high they will ride bad. So I dropped them from 37psi to 27psi. And now all of a sudden I have really really bad death wobble!!! Cant be TRE's (Brand new) trac bar end (Brand new) Control arm bushing (In great shape) WHat else could cause it to be driving like this?

Also the TRE roll, before when I had old TREs it drove just fine, now with the new ones it drives worse!!! How does that work! Shouldent it drive better!!!

Some that come to mind:
Is everything tight?
Steering angles?
Damaged steering tie rod holes?
Bad tie rods?
But my main suggestion would be to.make sure the tires are balanced properly. Changing the PSI that much could have adverse effect

Not on 35's but I have my MTR-k's at 28. Stock steering, minus ironman4x4fab tierod/moog ends, only time I ever had any kind of DW was when I had modified my lift/susp. and the toe was off.

the DW is something loose.

the tie-rod roll is the crappy design of inverted T, no way to avoid it.

I just built a 93, rusty's 6.5 lift all brand new steering ( over the knuckle ) and when I drove mine the first time I got DW really bad. Here is what I did to almost eliminate it. Tightened the track bar bracket at the frame, tire balance, steering stabilizer, and alignment. I have a bent C on my D30 and that is the biggest factor. The other stuff really helped minimize it. It pulls a little to right, but other than that drives great.

ok so checked a few things today and started to narrow it all down. All the bolts upfront are tight, including all the jam nuts to every link. Steering box bolts are tight. had a new drag link built today, and now have 3 out of 4 TRE replaced. Re-checked my toe and its dead on. Checked caster and its at about 7 degrees. Right where I welded the C's at when I did it. Tires are balanced. I took of the 35 MTR's and threw on a set of stock tires and it still had DW. so its not the tires I know that now. So the next thing im going to do, is replace the other 3 ball joints on the knuckles. Im thinking since I only replaced the upper on the driver side, that maybe the driver lower one was bad, and now since it has a new one up top that its starting to have more play in it then before. So im just going to replace all the other ones and see. If its not that, then I will have no idea. As everything else will be brand new.

if your confident in all that... jack up the front. spindle bearings? BJs? grab the tire at 9 and 3 and 6 and 12 respectively for a quick check.

PS - just "throwing on stock tires" is not a good alternative to checking the balance on your tires. going from a 35 to "stock" is going to put your toe way off.

if your confident in all that... jack up the front. spindle bearings? BJs? grab the tire at 9 and 3 and 6 and 12 respectively for a quick check.

PS - just "throwing on stock tires" is not a good alternative to checking the balance on your tires. going from a 35 to "stock" is going to put your toe way off.

How would that change toe?

Well now that I think about it I guess if its toed in an 1/8 with 35s going to a smaller tire would give you less toe in...

Last edited:
-Loose track bar, bushings, joints or mounts both upper and lower.
-Bad/loose ball joints
-Loose steering box. Check the box for cracked mounts, bolts loose or broken, or destroyed framerail.

Have someone turn the wheel while you look at the front end and see if anything is loose.

Let me know, and I can cruise up there and see if I cant help you figure it out.

Back