• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough Country Track bar- possible to add heim joint?

cheapcherokee93

<----boat-manche
so I'm currently running this bar: http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-adjustable-track-bar_7572.html

which i'll admit, isn't the greatest but i got it used in good shape for much less than that price. i eventually want to run the RE1660 track bar and corresponding bracket and brace, but I'm only at less than 3" of lift now and don't really have the coin for the RE setup now.

so anyways, i recently go some wobble again, not quite death wobble but very close. i'll be cruising on the freeway and if i hit some bad section of highway just the right way it'll start death wobbling. speed doesn't seem to matter much, it'll still happen but not always. the jeep also feels very unstable (shaky) over rougher highway. so to figure out what was worn i had my dad shake the steering wheel so i could look at all the components. the tie rod end at the frame end of this track bar is loose, everything else seemed tight.

since i know the tie rod end setup is less than desirable, i want to convert it over to a double shear with a heim at the frame end. my question is, would there be any problem with finding a heim that could thread into the bar and running it? or, say there is no off the shelf heim that works with the current threads, are there any more options to mating a heim to that track bar?

so far i've looked at Ruff Stuff heims, but I'm not sure which ones would fit. since the bar is 1.25" OD and .25" thick, does that mean i use a 3/4" heim?

one last note: i will be using the stock track bar bracket and adding tabs to it to accommodate the heim, just to be clear.

You should be able to use a new heim that fits correctly. I may have my RE1600 for sale shortly when I install my 1660.

IIRC its a 3/4-16 RH. Don't forget a couple misalighnment spacers so it doesn't bind at full droop..But you may not find a heim with a long enough shank to work.

Last edited:
IIRC its a 3/4-16 RH. Don't forget a couple misalighnment spacers so it doesn't bind at full droop..But you may not find a heim with a long enough shank to work.
He said he was going to mod a stock bracket to run in double sheer. So you would need misalignment spacers, but there would be no binding at the frame end in double sheer anyways.

Ahhhhh yes.. i see that now. :banghead: Ok then... Just a 3/4-16 RH heim with a bore of your liking then.

Those things bend SUPER easy. Hit a bump with any force and its a pretzel. You may want to consider beefing it up somehow if you are going to wheel it. I have seen one bend and put the axle into the oil pan....NOT GOOD.

Those things bend SUPER easy. Hit a bump with any force and its a pretzel. You may want to consider beefing it up somehow if you are going to wheel it. I have seen one bend and put the axle into the oil pan....NOT GOOD.

hmmmm anyone else see this happen with this particular bar? how does one go about beefing up a track bar? i supposed i could add some gussets at the bends, since thats probably where its weakest.

hmmmm anyone else see this happen with this particular bar? how does one go about beefing up a track bar? i supposed i could add some gussets at the bends, since thats probably where its weakest.

I had their double sheer and bent it on something so minor I can't remember how. The one that hit the oilpan was at Winterfest 2011 in the green group. I can't remember if his was the double sheer track bar or not. RevDen will remember. We fixed with a sheetmetal screw and some RTV to get him off the trail.

Back