• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel smell

OnorOffroad

NAXJA Forum User
I recently bought a Jeep so I don't know it's history. There was a pretty strong fuel smell coming from the engine bay. I discovered it was coming from the quick disconnects near the fuel rail. I replaced those but then noticed another strong fuel smell coming from the left underside of the Jeep where the fuel lines are. There are two more quick discos down there, but I can't narrow the smell down to those connections. I cleaned them off in hopes of seeing a leak. I have squeezed them to see if they will leak. I have checked the surrounding metal lines looking for cracks or holes. I can't find anything.

Any ideas? Any other "normal" areas for fuel to leak?

what year? I know the renix's have blow-by issues that can cause a strong fuel odor coming from the engine bay.

I would replace the seals in those disconnect fittings as well, just to be on the safe side. Fuel leaks on xjs are bad news they cause engine bay fires (usually from the early models having leaky injectors) too often to count.

I found a bad fuel smell coming from my intake manifold bolts having worked their way loose :dunno: for what it's worth

Does the fuel smell like normal fuel, or bad? When my charcoal cannister started giving me trouble, it smelled really, really foul.

I chased perpetual fuel leaks on my first xj, fuel rail qd's, fuel pressure regulator, fuel lines themselfs.... AN-6 plumbing to the rescue, never look back.

Time to throw a fire can inside the jeep.

Time to throw a fire can inside the jeep.

absolutely! a fire extinguisher should be your next purchase. not only for this problem but it's a good thing to have in the jeep just in case. If you smell fuel your rig can ignite it ;) vapors are much more combustible than liquid fuel leaking.

Usually when I turn the Jeep off, I can smell it the most. It seems like it's coming from the left side, but within minutes it's very hard to track down. Today after I turned off the Jeep I immediately got underneath and checked the quick disconnects. One of them definitely had some moisture coming out of it, so I will replace it. Then I checked the fuel rail and injectors again, nothing noticeable there. Then I checked the charcoal canister, and it stinks pretty bad. I figure it would stink after 12 years but I don't think it would be a "fresh" fuel smell wafting through the air? I'm considering replacing the charcoal canister if I can find one.

I'll definitely be getting a fire extinguisher.

Mine recently had a strong fuel smell just because the gas cap was bad. Replaced it and the smell is now gone.

Back