• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dieing Power Steering Pump

bjoehandley

NAXJA Forum User
Looks like the power steering pump is likely going to be giving up at some point relatively soon, any suggestions on which one to get? The OEM pump was replaced by Carmax back in '04 with a reman when I took it back to them with steering box issues (which they claimed didn't exist, but a dealer later found it and replaced the box) and that was dieing on the drive home, so they replaced it with another and that one is about to die after 90k on my truck. I'm thinking about going to the dealer I bought my 200 at to get a Mopar replacement, but I'm kinda wondering if there was a better option.

The WJ pump has the same GPM rating as ours (2.8GPM) but... It has a 1950psi rating as compared to our 1450 psi pump.

More power for about the same money. Numerous threads on the retrofit, but it all boils down to changing the High Pressure Port Fitting that is screwed into the pump body. Just swap the WJ part out with the XJ part from your existing pump and you are good to go.

Just my opinion. of course.

What's the advantage of the extra 500psi this will give my truck and will it affect the hoses? The pump and box only have been on the truck for 90k, but I think the hoses are still the nearly 157k O.E.M. ones.

Last edited:
The biggest tires I plan on running are the 235/75/15's it's got right now, so I don't need anything overpowered. it's no longer my DD either, but will be used as just a truck now as well as winter driver, so bling for the sake of bling would be excessive too (I could almost make an arguement for those LED's though!) Too bad too, that pump and tank looked freakin' sweeeeet!

Back