• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is this? (pics)

OnorOffroad

NAXJA Forum User
Is this an SYE (it's an NP242)?

img20120512095131.jpg

and what kind of driveshaft is this? Thanks

img20120512095114.jpg

That is a Front drive shaft. It is a Double Cardan Driveshaft to be exact. A SYE is for the rear tail housing on your T-case. The pic you took appears to be the mounting flange for your front driveshaft !

Sorry tom but im pretty sure that is the back. Look at the Vehicle Speed sensor. Thats located on the back of the T case. But to answer the original question yes taht is a SYE. Like Botak said its a Hack and Tap. Most everyone calls that a CV drive shaft but to be a nit picker tom is right about it being a Double Cardan Driveshaft

Sorry tom but im pretty sure that is the back. Look at the Vehicle Speed sensor. Thats located on the back of the T case. But to answer the original question yes taht is a SYE. Like Botak said its a Hack and Tap. Most everyone calls that a CV drive shaft but to be a nit picker tom is right about it being a Double Cardan Driveshaft

I did not notice the VSS, I've never seen a Hack and Tap before I've always gone in the Full SYE route. I also was thinking it was a pic of the front of the case cause of the 2nd pic where you can see the coil buckets shock moubts and drivers offset diff from the front axle !

img20120512095114.jpg

Thanks for you answers. It's the rear of the transfer case, and it's the front driveshaft. I thought it might be the "CV style" driveshaft, and I also thought it was an SYE. But I had read that there is no SYE for an NP242, so I guess that explains the hack n tap?

There are SYE's for the 242. One option is the various H&T available and the other option is Tom Woods. No arguement meant here just explaining there are options for those of us with the 242 T/C.

it's an sye in the first pic and a stock front driveshaft in the second pic. it's not a simple hack n tap there is a piece bolted onto the output shaft housing of the tcase in the rear.

even the Tom woods 242 SYE is just a hack-n-tap that they do for you.

Which drive shaft is better to use? I am about to swap out my front/rear axles, and I have an additional front drive shaft that isn't a double cardan.

Thanks.

that double joint is there to make up for the steep angle from the front tcase output to the pinion of the front axle, it needs to be there. It would not be a good idea to put a shaft without one in it's place.

that "H" style double U-joint is MUCH stronger than the double cardian shafts what you will see on the front shafts, and what most jeep guys use. whomever did yours knew a little something about them and made a nice set up for you. run it.
you will also see those double u-joints used in jet boat applications mating the engine to jet pump. i have seen 1000+ HP engines useing those shafts with no problems. oh, and they are not cheap. you got a good driveline there.

that "H" style double U-joint is MUCH stronger than the double cardian shafts what you will see on the front shafts, and what most jeep guys use. whomever did yours knew a little something about them and made a nice set up for you. run it.
you will also see those double u-joints used in jet boat applications mating the engine to jet pump. i have seen 1000+ HP engines useing those shafts with no problems. oh, and they are not cheap. you got a good driveline there.
i think i have the same driveshaft as he has in the rear, it's quite a bit bigger than the front shaft in diameter. it has the same flange like his, instead of using a yoke like the front driveshaft. not sure who made it though. i shortened it since it was in the back of a zj previously.

i think i have the same driveshaft as he has in the rear, it's quite a bit bigger than the front shaft in diameter. it has the same flange like his, instead of using a yoke like the front driveshaft. not sure who made it though. i shortened it since it was in the back of a zj previously.

they are pretty beefy aren't they? i thought about using these also, but i sort of like the idea of being able to swap front shaft to rear if need be. at the same time, with a super strong rear shaft, you wouldn't need to swap the front over unless you really did something stupid. though we all know stuff happens. i am wondering if maybe these are what tom woods or some of the larger shaft makers are selling as replacements. either way they are great.

i thought the front was the h-style as well... and theyre not THAT strong. ive broken one before. when my jeep was open/open on 33's and stock driveline.

003-2.jpg

i thought the front was the h-style as well... and theyre not THAT strong. ive broken one before. when my jeep was open/open on 33's and stock driveline.

003-2.jpg

ya the one you broke is the smaller weaker stock style. the one the OP showed is a much stronger unit. i dont remember the part numbers, but you can look them up. also i if i remember correctly the stronger ones use the 1350 style joints.

Back