• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Swap Out Year Ranges?

hoodride

NAXJA Forum User
I'm picking up a '99 2wd base model with the 4.0 and AW4 and it needs a tranny. So question from what year to what year trannys will be correct for a replacement? Ive done a '98 in the past but cant remember the year ranges that will swap out. Thanks.

Since I'm on the topic eventhough I'm planning on replacing the tranny in the Jeep I would like to know if anyone has input on what they think went wrong. Jeep still drives, front half of tranny nearest the converter whines like hell at idle on cold start, its really sluggish engaging all gears and shifts erratically. Fluid smells pretty burnt but isnt black or too abnormal, level was ok. Shifts better once its warmed up a bit but still whines and doesnt shift like it should. My guess is the converter or lack of maintenance and a bad pump or something? Just interesting to know what it may be, the way I see it easiest and cheapest to replace with a good used one.

Use the Google, and find the AW-4 Service and Diagnostics manual. Follow the testing and troubleshooting procedures.

Its a Jeep im buying from a friend, I have no idea when he last changed the fluid or if ever and we just took it for a test drive the other day knowing it had trans issues because he thought it would just need a fluid change or something simple but thats definitely not the case. Im going to swap the tranny as bad as it shifts and sounds it will just be much easier. I was just curious if someone off the top of their head had this same condition with another. I've got the original Mopar Aw4 manual so I could check that out too.

Back