• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Coil Help.

Arbslikewhoa

NAXJA Forum User
I have a pair of 6.5" Rough Country coil springs which I am adapting to 1 tons and a framed truck. I was hoping someone from the site who has the same coils could give me the measurement of the height of the springs at ride height. Possibly even at complete compression?

Please help, not sure where else to turn to.

If you know of someone I could talk to, please let me know, thank you.

im not sure how thats going to help you, seeing that the corner weight of a different vehicle is going to be, well, different. the ride height wont be the same.

Its an s10 blazer, thats why Im figuring itll be a close comparison. I should have mentioned that.

I just need to know roughly where they sit on a cherokee. I can make the upper buckets adjustable to a certain amount, but I need to atleast get it in the right range.

ps. no hating, my first off road toy was a cherokee and it was the badass machine. I know more about jeeps than I do chevys but I fell for this s10 about 3 years ago and for some reason been sticking with it.

call up rough country and see what the spring rate is. front corner weight of a cherokee is about 770lbs.
if the spring rate is 150lbs/in, that means it takes 150lbs to compress it one inch. divide 770 by the spring rate (let's say it's 150lbs/in as an example). that means it should compress 5.1", so subtract that from the free length of the spring, and now you have the compressed length. i you figure out your corner weight of the blazer, you can also divide it by the spring rate and figure out how much it will compress on that truck.

Good deal.

Ill call up and find out. I appreciate taking the time and explaining it.

As for the corner weight....I dont know. Its a v8, with a roll cage, winch, etc.... The best I could do is add 100-150 lbs to the 770 corner weight and play with those numbers. But itll get me where I need to be after I get that spring rate.

thank you.

a buddy of mine used these for his HP44 swap in his blazer.
http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Adjustable-coil-buckets_p_1183.html

P7290209.jpg

i forgot what coils he used. if your going to make your mounts adjustable and be putting cherokee coils into a blazer, i would do some research on spring rates. i would imagine those blazers are considerably heavier than our XJs.

The spring rate for 6.5" RC coils is 190lb/inch

Their approx 22.5" tall

Ill be making my buckets adjustable for 920lbs(+150lb) to 1020lbs(+250lb)

which gives me a compression of 4.8" - 5.3" which is suprisingly only .5" difference.

with that said, Ill drill a few holes (1" a part) starting at the 920lb mark and moving up from there. That should be plenty to play with.

Im hoping these coils will be able to squash down more too at ride height than cherokee due to the weight of the truck. This truck was built for more droop than compression if that makes sense. The truck is low to the ground.

Ill post pictures when I get it situated.

RC coils are super stiff, I need to get rid of mine.

I took the cherokee corner weight and added estimated numbers of how much my s10 might weigh by adding 150 to 250 pounds per corner....

I finally got them under the truck.....did some reverse math and got my actual corner weight, which is 807.5lb

I made my buckets semi adjustable...they have an innerbucket that slides up and down my outer frame mountes till I find the right height. Then weld them solid.

I didnt realize they were so stiff. I had a few buddies that ran the kit awhile ago and they seemed to have good luck with them. Might be something Ill change down the road, but for now, itll get me where I need to be..

as promised, heres a picture of the blazer on the cherokee RC 6.5" coils.... I appreciate the help.

427929_3191775157504_1359630072_32351520_1082542048_n.jpg

542520_3195566532286_1359630072_32353695_473536969_n.jpg

Back