• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Bushings???

kenny811

NAXJA Forum User
So in building a second D30 for my project im at the point for axle bushing install. I used a drill and drilled the old one out. To remove them both took about 10 minutes ( I got lucky ). Im thinking rubber instead of poly simply for the fact the rubber would give a little better road ride, because its a bit more giving. Is there really a huge difference between the two?

Poly is much harder, and will transfer more vibes to the body. I am not a fan of poly bushings. When I first got my jeep, the upper shock stem bushings were shot, so I put new poly ones in. Went for a test run down a washboard road, the bushings melted/turned themselves inside out within 30 minutes. Went back to rubber, and they have been fine for 4+ years

Cool. I have heard poly really suck for these bushings, but I wanted to hear either way from guys that have used them.

On the axle end of the upper control arm, there is no bushing in the arm. Instead it is inserted to the ear in the axle housing. The control arm then bolts through that bushing. If this is what you mean by axle bushing, then they are the same thing.

We just call em UCA axle end bushings around here

So you can use a control arm bushing in place of the "Axle Bushing?"

If you are referring to the bushings pressed into the axle housing, then yes those ARE the control arm bushings. If this is not the case, then I have no idea WTF you are talking about. The only other "axle bushings" I can think of are the Spindle bearings/bushings in a real D44/D60 style axle.

No, that's just what I was talking about. The pressed in rubber pieces on the axle housing. And yes im aware the upper control arms have no bushings I just didn't know you could use a control arm bushing in the axle housing spots.

I have a box with different bushing sets in it, i'll see what I have in there. Whats' the difference? if the upper control arm doesn't come with a bushing on the axle end, then is it the bushing on the body end?

THEY ARE THE SAME. The upper control arm bushings are the upper control arm bushings, it's just that two of them press into the control arm, and two of them press into the axle housing, they are all still control arm bushings.

Back