• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wandering some of utah's desert.

jmaxj

NAXJA Forum User
This will be just a quick run through, i'll let the pics do a lot of the talking :)

We took off friday to poison springs, after dinner in hanksville we motored down the rd to our turn off. after airing down a bit we started our trek down the wash and found the group we were meeting around 8:30 or so. after getting camp setup we lit a fire popped open a cold beer and enjoyed the warm evening listening to the frogs. next morning we awoke bright and early to get shown a few things while we were down there. after wandering around the area for most the day we decided to head to the swell to take the scenic way home. we took a cool slot type route to temple mt, then made our way towards swasey cabin for the night. after having to turn around cause the little two track was washed out we backed tracked over to the main rd. with all the people and wind up top we decided to head into eagle canyon a bit to setup camp. after a good nights sleep under a bright full moon we packed up and made our way out, stopping at the lone warrior pictograph. After that we continued under I70 to a few other pictographs(forgot the name at the moment) then around locomotive point. Once again under I70 and made our way towards buckhorn draw. stopped at the swinging bridge wandered around then decided to head to mexican mountain. after hiking to the river we let the dog play in the water and cool down a bit. back in the vehicles and off to the buckhorn pictographs and the little grand canyon. then it was smooth sailing into huntington where we topped off the tanks for our journey home. it was a great trip, seen some things i have never seen and some i haven't seen in a few yrs, can't wait to get back!

cruising down hwy 24 towards hanksville
101_7636.jpg

the moon outside hanksville
101_7637.jpg

in the wash
101_7649.jpg

first nights camp.
101_7652.jpg

gettin the runner wet.
101_7654.jpg

one of the two inscriptions i went there for.
101_7656.jpg

here's the other
101_7655.jpg

slivers of petrified wood everywhere
101_7663.jpg

a random rock in the middle of nowhere with a face painted on it.
101_7668.jpg

overlooking the dirty devil.
101_7681.jpg

Rod grimme was there apparently
101_7687.jpg

more to come..........

Re: Wandering utah's desert.

101_7691.jpg

the cacti were starting to bloom.
101_7693.jpg

a couple frogs discovered along the way
101_7705.jpg

hanging out in the shade.
101_7715.jpg

then it was off to the swell
101_7717.jpg

got a tip on a cool new way to take, so we took it :)
101_7718.jpg

101_7726.jpg

i blame the cattle guard for the small slice in my tire, after a short moment with a plug and a compressor we were back on the rd.
101_7746.jpg

101_7749.jpg

second nights camp in eagle canyon.
101_7759.jpg

the bright light is the moon
101_7813.jpg

still more...............

Re: Wandering utah's desert.

101_7816.jpg

101_7837.jpg

the swinging bridge
101_7856.jpg

101_7875.jpg

and a dino track
101_7878.jpg

and the final stretch home
101_7883.jpg

The full album is here.

a great weekend, wish i had more time to wander. oh well guess that means i just gotta go back :D

Looks like a fun trip. It's been about 20 years since I was in Poison Springs canyon. I love that area. Guess I need to get my ass in gear and get back.

looks really fun! thanks for sharing

this is one of the reasons i got a jeep(4x4)- wheeling and camping off the beaten path.
the trails looked relatively easy, easy enough for any stock 4x4? what about a Subaru?

looks really fun! thanks for sharing

this is one of the reasons i got a jeep(4x4)- wheeling and camping off the beaten path.
the trails looked relatively easy, easy enough for any stock 4x4? what about a Subaru?
If that 4runner made it, do not see why not.

The subaru could not do poison springs at all, in fact there were a few sections we had to stack rocks for the runner( we did remove them after)

A stock 4x4 is fine just got to pay attention in spots. But you could run around a few areas of the swell in a subi with minimal to know issues, although I wouldn't.

Great post. I grew up out west and have been living in New England for the past ten years and I really miss the high desert. Thanks!

Awesome! If you guys have any GPS #'s or map that would be cool. The rock drawings make you wonder about aliens! The one pic looks like two rockets on each side and a caped crusader!

I've got tracks and coords to almost everything. Pm me with what your looking for specifically.

Totally jealous over here. Just sayin.

Back