• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dual passage oil coolers?

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
Since I'm replacing my entire power steering system while fixing the animal-related damage on my 2001 XJ, I'd like to do some preventative maintenance as well.

Are there any dual-passage oil coolers out there that can be used as both a transmission and power steering cooler? I'm not even sure what the proper technical name for them is, which may help with my search.

Thanks in advance!

Guess where your oil goes.

In your engine.

Meaning, cooling your oil will cool your engine as well. That's no the main purpose of an oil cooler albeit, but it is a side benefit. That being said, keeping your oil cooler alone is well worth it, even in an XJ, just to keep your oil in better condition and doing a better job of protecting your engine, longer.

OP: I JUST threw away a heat exchanger catalog that probably would've had something you're looking for in it :doh: I'll keep looking around for ya though.

Guess where your oil goes.

In your engine.

Meaning, cooling your oil will cool your engine as well. That's no the main purpose of an oil cooler albeit, but it is a side benefit. That being said, keeping your oil cooler alone is well worth it, even in an XJ, just to keep your oil in better condition and doing a better job of protecting your engine, longer.

OP: I JUST threw away a heat exchanger catalog that probably would've had something you're looking for in it :doh: I'll keep looking around for ya though.

But your decreasing the air flow arcross the radiator which is the primary cooling system... I have no data or proof but I would guess it would not help vehicle cooling... and my point is the 4.0 is a hoss and dosn't need oil cooling to help increase life.. but like before I don't have any data to support it just the reliability and longevity it's know for.

Thanks for the input guys. In this case, I'm not adding a supplementary oil cooler - I'm just replacing the transmission cooler with a dual circuit cooler to handle both the transmission as well as power steering.

My XJ has never had any cooling system issues and has 186k on the clock now. I highly doubt that adding this will cause any issues, as it's still a relatively small cooler (the one I'm looking at should only double the footprint of the OEM transmission cooler).

Ah you didnt say that! ha, I was imagining a trans cooler, power steering cooler and an oil cooler all in front of the radiator.. A power steering cooler is a good upgrade, I added in a small one after I was getting powersteering fade, (also put in a gentright overdrive pully) helped out a lot.

Why? As many overheating issues that xjs run into why add an oil cooler in front of the radiator? I really don't see any benefit of a oil cooler on a 4.0. But thats just my opinion....

Well, ever notice how big the difference is in idle oil pressure between cold and hot? With an engine oil cooler that difference will be mitigated.

During my search of the coolng system I did last year, I found 5F of better engine cooling by moving my Aux Trans cooler from in front of the radiator (it was mounted in the traditional, smack dab in front of the driver's side) to on top of the front skid. The cooling system on the 4.0L is not the most robust in the world and pretty much any interference in the air flow results in higher average engine temps.

That being said... I did mount my PS cooler in front of the radiator, on the passenger side, near the bottom. It is a stock F350 cooler from the JY. Just a simple loop and wide spaced fins.

But an engine oil cooler is on my list of things to do. To be sure, you must use a thermostat in the system so as to not over cool the oil. BTW, my trans cooler uses a fan on a Derale t-stat to prevent overcooling in the winter.

summit racing and jegs both sells them, that where i got mine from.

I found that a ZJ trans cooler fits behind the stock crossmember. Been working great for me as a PS cooler.

IMG_0655.jpg

Back