• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 4.0L head

oldbill

NAXJA Forum User
How can I tell if my head is the 0331 head? If it is, is there any precaution I can take to try and prevent the common crack between cylinder 3 & 4? How common is the failure if the engine is taken care of? What should I be looking for?
Thanks,
Bill

It is stamped on the top of head about half way back on the drivers side. Just look along the edge of the valve cover, you'll see it. You may have to clean the area up a bit if you've got any gunk there. If your motor is the original in your 2000, then it most likely is an 0331 head.
The best way to prevent it from cracking is to maintain your cooling system and keep an eye on your coolant level. A common indicator of a cracked head is mysterious coolant loss.
If you search, there are a ton of threads about this.

How can I tell if my head is the 0331 head? If it is, is there any precaution I can take to try and prevent the common crack between cylinder 3 & 4? How common is the failure if the engine is taken care of? What should I be looking for?
Thanks,
Bill

Since I've been a victim of the 0331 cracked cylinder head I'll give you my experience...

Make sure you're cooling system is well maintained and try and avoid overheating the 0331. If you start having unexplained coolant loss that's one of the tell-tell signs of a cracked cylinder head. Again, make sure your coolant and cooling system is well maintained. Good luck...

Back