• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

renix jeep needs local help

2stix

NAXJA Forum User
ok so for more than 4 weeks now i have been trying to get my 89 running correctly. i have put off spending time with my family for too long. if anyone local that knows renix systems wants to take the jeep to their place and give it a go at their leisure, i can bring it over. i am not looking for hand outs by any means, but i can not afford to pay much either. i have given it my best try. i still can not believe it beat me. but it did. i am done, and want to get back to my family. it runs, but i dont think it will pass smog running the way it is, so the registration was only paid, no tag. if nobody is up for the task (which i dont blame them) the jeep is being stashed in the corner of the property for a while.
just thought i would see if anyone out there wanted a headache like mine. :doh:

I'm kind of far Vic but if you can get it to me I'll give it the shop treatment. Or you could get ahold of Mike Finch, he's much closer to you and I believe he makes house calls. his username on here is willy51 and he's very good at what he does.

he goes to the north county meet and greet every month. i think his prices are supposed to be pretty decent too.

thanks guys, and thanks Grimm. getting the jeep to torrance wouldnt be that hard to do, i have been driving it. i just wouldnt want to park it on the street anywhere with no tag.
i will also contact mike to see what he would charge, but this months funds have all ready been depleted.
i did get a PM from a guy in AZ that may have DRB2 tester and FSM that i may be able to borrow. that would be a huge benefit and may actually get me to want to try again.
for now i have some things i want to do with my kids. 4 year old gets to walk petco park infield with his T-Ball team before todays padre game. i cant wait to see the kids faces when they step on the field. i stayed home to work on the jeep missing these things for the past 4.5 weeks.
thanks again guys.

If it were up here it would be in the driveway behind a locked gate, not on the street. but I really would get ahold of Mike he's very good.

X2 for Mike Finch

Victor, Mike Finch's # is 949-812-9554. He may be just what you need. Reasonable rates, and prefers projects without a short time-limit. His shop's in San Marcos.

If he's overly swamped, PM me & I'll see if one of the local Renix folks who's not on here much (more on SoCalXJ's site) would be willing to take a look/listen. If worst comes to worst, drive it down to the SoCalXJ Picnic and let us have at it! LOL.

Sequoia, just bring your SnapOn diag tool next time you have to come look at the San Diego building!! You can go home via I-15 and you could take Ortega Hwy (74?) back to I-5. I bet it's amazing on a bike.

hey folks, thanks for the replys. just want to add, i am no longer in a hurry to fix the jeep. the month spent trying to get it running was actually supposed to be set for building it. lift, lockers, gears, ect, ect, ect. that time ran out and i now have other priorities i NEED to get to.
i have been contacted by someone with a DRB2 tester that is willing to let me borrow it soon. so i will wait till i get a chance to use it and go from there. if i find time here and there i will try a few other things i have thought about. but for now it will sit aside.

the idea of having Mike do his magic is great, and if there were funds for it i may consider it. but that is not possible at this time. and please do not think i am looking for a hand out here. i only posted this if someone wanted a challenge. (well it has been a challenge for me at least, lol. ) and had time to mess with it at their leisure.
my frustration with it built and i still can not believe that in all my years, this is the first time a vehicle has beaten me. sure i have been stumped on some but just as i did with this jeep, i figured it out. on a personal level this has been somewhat of a what you kids call "a fail" for me. and that is not easy to take.lol. the jeep was a cheap investment, so i wasnt worried about it. but the aftermarket parts i have gathered were not. so be sured i WILL eventually get it going. i just have other things (and family) that need my time for a bit.
just like in many cases, i am betting the problem is something very easy that i overlooked, like a broken piston return spring or something. as a wise man once told me, i WILL be back!

Well I have a DRB2 and a DRB3, and if I dig around I think I have a Renix adapter somewhere. But I'd prefer if they didn't leave Torrance as they are aren't getting any easier to find.

Hell I didn't know there was a functional DRB2 so close.

I'd like to stop by sometime to test my DRB2 if you don't mind, I'd like to find out if the brain is any good before I go buy a Renix adaptor.

those DRB2's are pretty damn durable, I bet the cable leading into the unit is broken or you have a bad cartridge.

I've only been able to do very rudimentary testing since I dot have the Renix adaptor. I have a few Jeep ODB-I adapters though so if you need one you're welcome to it.

I also have a Snap On MT-2500 (brick), I like to get the DRB set up so I've got a second one, plus he dork in me would like to compare the DRB vs brick.

Whereabouts in Torrance are you?

i grew up (well sort of) in torrance, so i know where all you live. watch your DRBs....lol
i have to thank everyone for their offers to help. i will see what i can do to find time to spend on it. but i have a bunch of stuff planned right now with kids stuff, wife's 40th B day. (dont tell anyone i told you she was 40) finish kids bed and bath remodel, ect ect ect. i do appreciate all the offers, and as i said i will see what i can do. thanks again folks.

Back