• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CPS SOL? On a learning curve folks!!!!

The CPS acronym is used for Crank Position Sensor (looks kinda like this pic when it's in your hand and is found bolted to rear of the larger bellhousing lip so that it pokes through a hole to read notches/holes on a tone ring attached to the flywheel (basically, it's kinda "behind" the engine on the top and on the manifold side - so, not quite centered on top):
PC87.jpg

The SOL - is more likely an abbreviation rathern than an acronym - for solenoid I'd imagine -- on most XJs the starter solenoid is mounted to the starter itself and is switched using a fender mounted starter relay (solenoid would look something like this, though herer they are most often purchased already fixed to a replacement starter):
SS302.jpg

There are a few other solenoids, but that was a good stab at it all anyway.

Your a mighty man

Finding it hard to hook up with other Jeep People here in Ireland.
Thanks for the super response.
I'll be watching and learning.

Given our American tendency to use slightly off-colour slang, SOL is more likely to be an acronym for "Sh_t Out of Luck."

Jon, the problem you'll find is that the diesel engine was sold in the USA for only a few years, and very few of them when they were available. You have a 2.5L and my recollection is that the one sold here was a 2.1L Renualt engine. Nothing about it was interchangeable with the gasoline engines, so the likelihood of any of us having parts for you is between slim and none, I'm afraid.

What sort of crank problems have you? The CPS will usually cause a crank but no start condition (it generates signals used to control fuel injection and ignition timing) and a failed starter solenoid will cause a "no crank" condition (the solenoid, controlled by the ignition switch, controls the flow of power into the starter. Think of it as a big switch, and you are on the right track in this case.) There are several other solenoids present, but - as mentioned - the starter solenoid is the most likely to cause trouble. If you have a Diesel XJ, you likely do not have a CPS in the control loop for your engine - I'd have to check - but there would be something similar to run your tach.

If you can supply us with year/engine/&c, and give us a better description of your ailment, we can help you better! You may have an easier time finding Diesel parts than we do as well, since the Diesel was made by an European company and you are simply closer to it...

5-90

5-90 --

The man DID tell us what engine: 2.5L turbo diesel. Not a USA spec model. Since diesels don't use spark plugs, (in fact, don't use ignitions), unless used to control injector pulses there likely isn't any CPS on his vehicle.

It would help to know the year, but I'm guessing it's a newer model with the Italian diesel. It's European spec only, and I wouldn't even know where to look for service information.

Wups - just tuned in on this thread (which is why I don't know what's going on...)

Which thread is his, so I can review the problem? Even if we don't know the specs (I'd be interested in hearing more of this variant - I don't remember a 2.5 Diesel in the OEMR books!) some among us must know enough about Diesels to get him somewhere...

5-90

Back