• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DEQ question for Oregon peoples!

sheffeyva

NAXJA Forum User
Can you pass emissions with part of your exhaust system missing? The only part thats missing is the tailpipe. It goes from the cat to a muffler then dumps off. In Virginia you had to have every single piece of your exhaust in place in order to pass but here they are just using the sniffer test.

When I took in my 79 F-350 all they did was the sniffer, no visual. It fail in California, but passed fine here. I think Oregon does Californias emmision tests on 2007 on.

On older cars (generally pre mid90s most models or pre OBD) they use a sniffer.
That's the rigs that you should worry and cross your finger over.

If you are a newer model with OBD2 they just plug a scanner in to your diagnostic port under the driver's kicker. No visual inspection.
If you have insurance, registration, cash and no CELs generally you're good to go.
I disconneced my ABS, pulled fuses and relay and passed. Even had a bad headlight and broken flasher.

Basically if you can key on , off , on , off, on in 5 seconds and get your CEL to start blinking or have a 97+ with a digital odometer and no CELs you'll pass.

Last edited:
I tried with my last Cherokee with no tail pipe it just a dumped down as you described. They told me that it had to exit past the passenger compartment and counted the trunk since there basically a hatch back. But you may get lucky and they won't say anything to you.

Thats what I was afraid of. Luckily my parents live down in Veneta outside of eugene. I'll probably just register it to their address!

My exhaust dumps right after the muffler, and since i deleted the ABS/AIRBAGS.. I didnt want to even risk having them say something..

If you have family outside of Portland, thats your best option

it has to exit the bodywork and have a cat. my deq pipe for the xj is just a cat with a 90 exiting out the side. no muffler, comes out under the pass door. no problems

They failed my 89 for no tail pipe. The reason was they have a policy where the tester wont get on the ground. So I went and got flex extension and just brought it out to the end. With no cat, it passed no problem. I heard a rumor they were doing away with DEQ in Washington.

I was just at DEQ on Wednesday, thats what the guy told me here in Portland. But he said they were going to have automatic DEQ on the on ramps. I doubt that would happen anytime soon, and I highly doubt they will do away with DEQ, they want to keep the greenys happy.

Back