• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which header/ manifold has the best life expectancy?

lilredxj99

NAXJA Forum User
I've had the cracked exhaust manifold for a while. And getting 12-13mpg didn't really bother me beacuse I rarely drive my xj. But w/ gas prices hovering close to the $4/gal mark, it got me wanting to resolve my issue.

99 classic 4.5 w/ 32's and dynomax cat back...

I know that several offer lifetime warranties, but I'd rather not have to use it.

I will also be buying new Brown Dog motor mounts.

Anyway, for the guys that have done a manifold replacement and wheel his/her rig:

What is the best one to get?
How long has yours been on?
What kind of wheeling do you do?

I have searched, and I'm seriously considering an APN stainless...
Just for peace of mind before I go and drop close to 3 bills and a day to install all of it.

If it helps, I've had my APN about 4 or 5 years now.
A few years ago my passenger motor mount block bracket snapped/sheared off on a trail.
Fan was grinding the shroud and the dizzy was sitting on the framerail, pan occasionally bouncing off the front dif.
Before I realized my prob my trans mount blew and the motor sagged enough backwards that the fan only grinded over 2000rpms or when the motor torqued over an obstacle or hill.
Drove the whole way (80 miles) home , 15 of it trail with the motor leaning to the right. Worst drive ever.
No cracks a few years later.
Kinda cool that it's basically a knockoff design of a Banks header...bonus is a nice slight warble in the idle with the APN/banks.

Back