• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

boomeranging shackles

tom11919

NAXJA Forum User
So I picked up a set of second hand prerunner deavers but find that my teraflex shackles are hitting the back of the box on the body under compression. The obvious solution is a set of boomerang shackles, but is there any good reason I can't modify my current straight shackles for extra clearance? I was thinking I could cut a wedge out of one side and move it around to the other and weld it all back together. The only hard part would be welding on the inside of one side of each shackle. Thoughts?

Yeah, ixnay on the shackle hacking. I can't have my rig showing up on the ghetto fab thread on pirate!

After a little research I've decided to go with some of these. Mostly because it'll tie the shackle mounts directly into the 'frame rail' inserts from my fancy homemade bumper. Should make the rear of my jeep just a little stiffer and stronger.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. A lot of times just because something seems like it would work doesn't mean it's the best solution.

ive made shackles before. what you are describing doesnt sound hack at all. if you know how to make a structurally sound weld i dont see an issue here.

Mine are cut and welded to make a boomarang setup. (done by goatman years ago).

I can assure you there are only a few rigs around beat harder than this one, have held up fine.

Doesn't sound structurally sound??? You must have a lot of bolt ons because I have a lot of cut and welded parts on my jeep and I beat the ever living crap out of it and it's fine. I do think brianho13's shackle relocater brackets would be the best idea in this case though.

Hack may have been a little strong of a term in this case. Modifying my current shackles
would surely work, its just not the best solution.

it would work just as effectively as buying new ones. and if you know what you are doing they will appear unmodified. i don't understand how this isnt just as good as the "best" option.

I agree that done properly, modifying my current shackles would result in no loss of strength or appearance. What I'm considering to be the best solution for me is relocation brackets. Not only will I solve the shackle to body clearance issue, brackets will greatly reinforce the shackle attachment point while adding an inch or so of rear lift and tweaking the shackle angle all of which are things I would like to do. YMMV

I agree that done properly, modifying my current shackles would result in no loss of strength or appearance. What I'm considering to be the best solution for me is relocation brackets. Not only will I solve the shackle to body clearance issue, brackets will greatly reinforce the shackle attachment point while adding an inch or so of rear lift and tweaking the shackle angle all of which are things I would like to do. YMMV

Yes

Back