• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cruise control not working.

Devilfrog

NAXJA Forum User
So my CC has been out of commission for a while now. Horn works fine, so I'm guessing it's not my clockspring. I did replace my brake switch a while back, but I haven't tried using my CC since doing the head swap a few years back.
It turns on according to the dash light, but does not engage the throttle and such so its more or less just a fancy light on the dash.
Would getting the wrong brake switch cause this?

year...

I had the same issue on my 98. Eventually I found the wire to the servo from the brake light switch had chafed the insulation shorting the signal to ground.

For diagnostices, I removed the switch from the Heep and with the engine running, set the CC. The cluster indicator lit and I had the signal at the switch. At this point the switch was in the "brakes applied" location so I depressed it into the "brakes off" position. That was when the voltage, from the PCM dropped out. Only wat to get it back was to power down and restart. I also noted that even though the CC light was on, with the brake switch in the "normal" position, no voltage from the PCM. To confirm it was the wire and not the switch, I replaced the switch with a NAPA part. As that made zero difference, I cut the wire leading from the switch to the servo and armed the CC. Voltage stayed up indicating that it was the wiring.

Note: The FSM says to disconnect the servo from the circuit when chasing this problem. It also states that you start by arming the system and looking at the servo connector for the voltage. You then work backwards to the PCM.

I ran a new conductor from the switch to the servo connector.

This may, or may not, be your issue but it bears looking at.

Back