• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Driveline Troubleshooting

jro780

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 Limited with 6" of lift consisting of RE control arm drop brackets, DPG coils, and JKS upper and lower control arms. For the record, I'm also running a RE track bar and Currie Correctlync steering. Super 30 w/ OX and 4.56 on 33s. Stock front drive shaft.

I was getting some fairly substantial grinding at 15+ mph coming from the front axle. I just recently replaced my front wheel hub assemblies so I assumed the grinding was coming from worn axle u-joints. I swapped in some spare shafts with new axle u-joints to remedy the problem. I was still getting the grinding noise starting at 15+ and getting slightly louder with speed.

Next, I dropped my front drive shaft and took the XJ for a spin. Removing the front shaft eliminated the grinding noise. I inspected the u-joints in the front drive shaft and they appear to be in good condition and all move freely.

Should I go ahead and replace all of the u-joints in the stock front shaft? Is it worth investing in a new custom front shaft? The stock shaft doesn't appear to be at its upper limits in length but if I get a new custom shaft it will definitely be a bit longer.

Anyone had a similar experience. Thanks in advance.

Did you check the centering ball and stuff at the t-case side of the driveshaft? How about the pinion bearings on the front axle?

Check the transfer case as well

a Chrysler tech adviser told me this year ago. what did you do to break it . 1. when did the noise start? 2 did the noise start after you installed the new hub bearings, if it did then look at the hub bearing. just because they are new doesnt mean that you could have gotten a bad one.

I bet its the centering ball in the driveshaft, even though the shaft is a CV with a slip joint the higher angles with having a lift tend to wear out the centering ball faster. I had a horrible grinding/banging noise in my rear driveline and could not for the life of me figure it out. Replaced u joints everywhere, rebuilt/regeared, any and all bearings and it still was there. Finally I replaced the centering ball in the rear driveshaft (stock xj front) and it was completely fixed!!!

Be advised though, since I drove around for a while with a worn slip joint the movement and slop streched out the "H" yoke and my spicer adapter that mounts up to the RE hack n tap I have. If I would of only rebuilt that damn centering ball a few years before hand I could have saved myself like another 100 bucks!!!

All good advice. Thanks. Turns out it's the centering ball in the front driveshaft. I already have a custom shaft for the rear when I did an 8.8 swap and SYE.

I'm short on time so I could just have a local shop rebuild the factory front shaft with new Spicer U-joints all around and a new centering ball. The cost is about $150. Or should I spend $299 for a heavy duty Tom Woods shaft with a longer travel slip and spine? Thoughts?

Back