• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 question

Keithmania

NAXJA Forum User
Of the 2 Jeeps I have owned, both were automatics with the AW4 trans... My question is, for all of the conversion kits I see on the intrawebs I have never seen an adapter plate for an AW4. Is it too light duty for other applications? If it is then what suggestions would you guys recommend for a trans swap? I can drive a manual no problem, but there seems to be a big number of different transmissions out there that Jeep has used in their XJ's. One other thing, are there transmission rebuild kits for the AW4 that would beef it up a bit if it is too light duty?

Edit: btw I am looking into 5.3l all aluminum Chevy engine swap.

Talking to an individual who had a built Toyota 4-Runner a couple of years ago, he had replaced his AW4 with an AW6 tranny. It's a beefier transmission by the same manufacturer and has the same mounting bolt pattern making it a easy swap in.

Talking to an individual who had a built Toyota 4-Runner a couple of years ago, he had replaced his AW4 with an AW6 tranny. It's a beefier transmission by the same manufacturer and has the same mounting bolt pattern making it a easy swap in.

SO, Would an AW6 bolt up to an XJ 4.0 ?

My mistake, on wikipedia I found the following:
The AY-6 is a 6-speed manual transmission manufactured by Aisin. It is designed for longitudinal engine applications and can handle up to 345 ft·lbf (468 N·m) of torque.

Back