• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Front Axle Questions???

ScreaminWaldo

NAXJA Forum User
Okay first off, I'm pretty new to the xj community and I don't have a ton of experience mechanically. I am a good welder. I am not in the process of doing anything to my axle (yet) but I know it'll come time and I need some wisdom. So a few of my questions concerning the front axle of an xj. First off, When doing the Wagoneer D44 front axle swap, is the steering affected because I love how nimble my xj is and would hate to give that up? As far as the D30 goes, I read some jp article about the cad in the earlier xj's is worse than the later d30s which arn't cad? Whats the difference? Strength? I'll probably have a ton more questions as you guys answer mine. Thanks in advance
Willy

Welcome to NAXJA...cannot answer your question about the Wagonner D44, but the CAD axle is some earlier XJ's is not weaker (later XJ's didn't have the CAD), but the CAD mechanism is prone to malfunction due to being vacuum actuated. It's easy to "bypass" (lock it in)...I wouldn't worry about it.

Does your XJ have the CAD axle? You can tell by the fat spot on the axle on the passenger side.

it's not weaker, but most of them iirc had the small size ujoints, and spare parts aren't as commonly available if you end up needing to replace one. You can convert to a non-CAD axle for like 30 bucks in parts though, you need a seal, a one piece shaft, and a blockoff plate.

Thanks for all the info guys. Sounds like I'll be doing that non cad swap since its so cheap. I assume there are multiple write ups out there?
As for the steering, I understand the high steer over/under knuck locations. My question was in the turning radius. My xj right now can do a you turn on the small gravel road I live on but I doubt a waggy could. So would there be a loss in steering that way or am I completely misunderstood?

Back