• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for a new XJ

Eliminator89

NAXJA Forum User
Old one totalled, need a new one.

But what year to buy? Let's have some opinions.

I have had two '01's and never a problem with the head on either one. I'm thinking you have to over heat to crack them but am I wrong? Do they just go bad?

So, before I buy the next XJ, how about some pros and cons of the years '97 to '01.

You guys don't mind giving opinions do ya? ;)

Guess I should say what its intended use is. Just a daily driver. Hiopefully a trip this summer to CO. Mining roads, Alpine Loop ya know. Not going to be modded, well, maybe a small lift but that would be about it.

No rock crawling, deep woods trails, desert running etc.

I made a couple offerings on your last thread you started. Their is a few in your area. Look on craiglist.

I have a 2000 2dr sport. I say the newer the better for you. chances of less miles, better chance of having less rust, especially in minnesota, like you and I.

Checking Craigslist and other online car marketplaces, I have found plenty to choose from. A good choice of years and mileage.

Just not up on the differances between the years. I know the '00 and '01s have the somewhat problematic head and the distributorless ignition. I think the intake and exhaust are also different for those years. The earlier years still have the distributor but don't have the crack prone head.

Anything else I should consider?

How about the ABS brakes? Good? Bad? I know the ABS Cherokees use the Dana axle and the non-ABS use the Chryco 8.25 axle which is considered a bit stronger. Both my '01s had the Chryco rear axle.

Since I plan no or perhaps a modest lift, high pinion front axle really isn't a consideration (as I see it).

I would think any '97-'01 Cherokee would be good for me, just thought I would ask for opinions from folks who know than I. I plan to get a Sport trim. I do know of the front door speaker wire trouble. Both mine had that broken wire. Both mine also had a weak rear wioer motor which I sorted out with a new motor on both.

I've been very happy with my 98. It's got the less crack prone head and a simple and easy to troubleshoot ignition system. I don't mind the "low tech" of the distributor with CMP and hall effect CKP sensors. Tune-ups are easy and cheap and I like not having the COP setup that costs much much more to replace. I have plenty of low end torque and hp so the revised intake in 00 and 01 isn't a big deal for me. Also, the 00 and 01's have a heat soak issue that is tough to chase with a TSB that's worthless. Supposedly, the best is the 99 with DI, revised intake, and stout head.

Issues with my 98 (bought with 133k):

pinion bearings in the ChryCo 8.25
bad oil pressure sending unit
ac clutch issues
neutral safety rebuild

everything else has been basic maint. and it's running well at 156k with no oil usage/great oil pressure/power. The chassis is also holding up well without any issues, although living in Oregon helps that quite a bit.

I have had a 200o, a 99, and two 97's. I did not notice a power difference between them, I did not like the 2000 and think it got the worst mileage. I had the best luck with the 97's. One had the Dana 35 and the other a country model had the 8.25 rear and never had a problem with either with mild 3" lifts and 31" tires. My 97 sport had 280k on it when I sold it and still ran great my country I currently have has 140k miles and I drive it about 100 miles round trip daily and get right at 20 mpgs. That being said I like the 97 models but most on here say go with a 99. Good luck.

The '99 2 door looked like crap in person. What a piece of.....

Anyway, I'll be looking at a 1998 Sport with 115k for $3500 this Saturday. This one sounds more promising.

Back