• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what is this?

XJRunner

NAXJA Forum User
Alright so my jeep wouldnt start and I thought it was the cps, but I've always had this ticking coming from under the dash. I found it to be this box thing. its right by the ash tray with a big plug going into it. I googled the part number and found a bunch for sale but no info on it. anyways I unplugged my battery and unplugged this box than plugged it back in and bam, starts up and idles, runs perfect and no more ticking. what the hell is this? heres a few pics.
0425121256.jpg

0425121259.jpg

Could it be the blower motor relay? It's been a long time since I had an 87, but I don't remember many other relays down there. Your best bet might be to unplug it again, and then see what doesn't work with it gone.

Unplugging and replugging the battery may be the key here. Are all of your terminals (+ and -) tight and shiny clean?

I suspect Pelican is right, and that the relay clicking was a symptom of low voltage. It may also be that when you unplugged the relay you disturbed some poor connection under the dash - a bad ground or something, which might also influence the ECU, which is not far from where you were working. If the problem returns, I'd check down there again and see if wiggling wires and connections has any effect.

I repeat that it's been a long time since I had an 87, but it had wiring even more minimal than some of the later ones, and one thing I remember is that a few things were grounded in common with the cigarette lighter, not very clever.

And that now reminds me, since XJ grounds can be so troublesome, to remember to check the ground strap between the firewall and the valve cover. It's a braided strap which corrodes easily, but not always visibly until you touch it and it crumbles to dust. That can influence many things.

Back