• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Picked up a new project this weekend

TunnelRat

NAXJA Forum User
IMG_20120421_122107.jpg

1997 ZJ Orvis edition, picked it up from the Pull n Save rebuild lot. Needs a new trans, but other than that its in great shape. Hoping to turn it into a DD for the wife.

It's leather, but I'm not a huge fan of the funky tan/green Orvis edition trim inside. The front seats are split pretty bad so I'll be on the lookout for some plain tan ones from the JY. It's already lifted, too - it looks pretty goofy sitting on the 225s its on now.

I'll try to get some tomorrow; it's at the shop to see if the trans is salvageable. The seats are basically tan with a forest green stripe down the middle and maroon piping. Just a bit too contrasting for my tastes.

(edit - here's a small picture I found online)

96orvis9sml.jpg

Last edited:
Because he has one and he hates it now. Right Scott? Thats okay I hate my XJ, I am going to take my XJ to Sierra fest and see if I can kill it.

I'm telling ya.. I regret everything i do with my jeep. An XJ platform is Half the price to get started, And half the price to build. A good XJ long arm lift is $1500.. Its $3000 for a ZJ, for what? comfy seats? SO you spend double for comfy seats and get a Chrysler trans, 249 T-case, Vicious cooling systems. and Terrible factory axles.. Not to mention the CV front drive shaft.. ALL of these items your going to swap over from an XJ! the nightmare of Chrysler wiring (zj is worse then an XJ) I have every option a zj came with.. and i've had to replace every motor/switch etc to keep it working..

You want a good cheap project? XJ.. You want a less limited budget, Nice luxury wheeler? TJ/LJ..

I'm burnt out.. Just being honest.

I'm telling ya.. I regret everything i do with my jeep. An XJ platform is Half the price to get started, And half the price to build. A good XJ long arm lift is $1500.. Its $3000 for a ZJ, for what? comfy seats? SO you spend double for comfy seats and get a Chrysler trans, 249 T-case, Vicious cooling systems. and Terrible factory axles.. Not to mention the CV front drive shaft.. ALL of these items your going to swap over from an XJ! the nightmare of Chrysler wiring (zj is worse then an XJ) I have every option a zj came with.. and i've had to replace every motor/switch etc to keep it working..

You want a good cheap project? XJ.. You want a less limited budget, Nice luxury wheeler? TJ/LJ..

That post stressed me out Scott. :)

I appreciate your honesty - this isn't going to be a hard use rig, though. I already have the XJ for that when the time comes. This is a fix 'er up so the wife can have a DD that the wee one's car seat can fit into, which is a no-go with the TJ right now. Reasonable ground clearance and 4WD are a must for us - it's already got an RE lift on it, and we'll be making out pretty cheap once it's all said and done.

I appreciate your honesty - this isn't going to be a hard use rig, though. I already have the XJ for that when the time comes. This is a fix 'er up so the wife can have a DD that the wee one's car seat can fit into, which is a no-go with the TJ right now. Reasonable ground clearance and 4WD are a must for us - it's already got an RE lift on it, and we'll be making out pretty cheap once it's all said and done.

Ok, well mine started like that, and i enjoyed it alot more! it was an all around good rig for DD'ing and weekend fun.. :patriot:

Rear coils also, hence the doubled price long arms

Well, trans is rebuilt and got some new tires under her today; I think she looks pretty darn good. Sold the TJ today and the wife was pretty emotional about it. Still have a few bits to tweak, but it's going to be a fun rig.

IMG_20120630_133503.jpg

Duratrac's FTW!!!!
You'll like those tires man!

Back