• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

00 XJ wont stay running

scottanchee

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 2000 XJ 4.0 5 spd and It will not stay running

I plugged my ECM into a friends 2000 TJ to help him diagnose his jeep ( ya I know stupid thing to do ) and now my Jeep will start and run for 3 sec and shut off . I tried to reset everything with the batt unconneted , left key on for an hour etc , I even bought a ECM and it still does it . I do not have the chip key , just the std black key

I also took it to the dealer , and they say they cannot reflash my ECM , they say its locked up from the sentry key / anti theft , but the parts counter says that my jeep does not have a factory anti theft

WTF is going on here ? I am completely stumped . Please help !

...I plugged my ECM into a friends 2000 TJ to help him diagnose his jeep ........

Your buddies TJ has SKIM Chip-in-Key security and it thought you were trying to steal his Jeep. The SKIM disabled your ECM and locked it up.

Your ECM is toast, you need a good used ECM from a compatible XJ.

It definitely sounds like a sentry key issue. When it runs for 3 seconds and dies is there a light blinking on the dash that looks like a key in a circle? Did your friend's TJ have a key with a thick grey head?

The dealer can not un-program a PCM from Sentry key once it has found the module. An aftermarket company may be able to do it though.

Somebody has chip-in-key SKIM anti-theft. Remove the plastic trim from the steering column on both Jeeps and look for it.

standard.jpg

Back