• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What necessitates a Durango steering box upgrade?

XJ98Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '98 XJ that needs a new steering box (or a rebuild) and was just wondering if I should spring for the Durango box or not. It's going to stay on 33's for the rest of it's life, and only see pretty mild fourwheeling. The tires already rub on the LCAs at full lock so I don't even really want the extra turning radius, but if the Durango box is made of 24K gold or something and I need to put it on I can always shim it to stop the wheels from rubbing.

I did it just cause I was replacing mine. Don't know if mine was really worn out cause I found the slack in the steering shaft and I dont think I have wheeled it hard enough to tell the extra power. Mainly I wanted it to have power in general like my friends tbird but the hydraulics and stuff put a certain amount of resistance on turning it seems like. Though the difference in input on the steering wheel having no steering hooked up to having tires on the ground wheeling has been none so I guess it's got power. Also it works well at 400rpms with the big high pressure pump fitting (already that size on renix years) compared to stock with the small fitting it struggled without higher idle.

Back