• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

panhard limiting travel

frankensteinxj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok just got done gettin the dana 60 under the front of my xj.
I am having trouble with the driver side down travel when the panhard is hooked up.
The panhard is frame end driver side, axle end passenger.
the passenger side will droop out the limit of the 14" air shocks but the driver side only gives me about 4" down travel.
If I unhook the panhard bar it will droop all the way.
My panhard is the same angle as my drag link and as long as possible.
I am running radius arms, bushings at the lower axle and johnny joints everywhere else.
I will upload pics of the setup when I get home.

Any ideas?

Sounds like your shock is binding vertically, so disconnecting the panhard is allowing the axle to move laterally out of the bind? I can't envision how it could be binding though?

yep. we will need pics.

is it simply bind? or is anything hitting?

i would assume you are running most of that 14" as droop? That is pretty far for anything but a perfectly horizontal trackbar to go.

Unhook one of the UCA's and see what it does, it should be better. What joints do you have on the ends of the panhard bar?

Those are pretty long shocks, especially since they're air shocks. You could have push off and poor stability.

Nothing is hitting I had to grind some of my truss away because it was.
I am runnin about 9-10" down travel.
It could be the shocks.
I am running ruffstuff 3/4 heims with ruffstuff brackets.
I already uploaded pics on pirate, is it ok to post a link to the pirate thread in here or is that against the rules.
Photobucket is blocked here at work.

Nothing is hitting I had to grind some of my truss away because it was.
I am runnin about 9-10" down travel.
It could be the shocks.
I am running ruffstuff 3/4 heims with ruffstuff brackets.
I already uploaded pics on pirate, is it ok to post a link to the pirate thread in here or is that against the rules.
Photobucket is blocked here at work.

I didn't suggest anything is hitting. I said remove one of the UCA's and see what happens. You're going to get binding with the radius arm design, see how much by removing one of the arms. Diagnosis is a process of elimination.

I didn't suggest anything is hitting. I said remove one of the UCA's and see what happens. You're going to get binding with the radius arm design, see how much by removing one of the arms. Diagnosis is a process of elimination.
yea, i had crappy articulation with my radius arms. i removed the passenger side upper and it helped. how safe is it to drive like that? road manners seem ok, it might pull a little to the right like that when braking, but not horrible.

Well I got it together and tested it out in the drievway.
With the weight on it it flexes fine but it seems like its just waiting to destroy bushings and or rip off my lca mount.
I may remove the driver side upper but not sure if its good idea with the weight of the 60.
Any input?

I was gonna upload pics but photobucket is blocked at work.

i've been driving around and wheeling rather agressivly with a wristed radius arm setup without issues.

Here i is big and ugly.

IMG_20120501_160147.jpg

IMG_20120501_155757.jpg

A longer track bar would be helpful.

Well I got it together and tested it out in the drievway.
With the weight on it it flexes fine but it seems like its just waiting to destroy bushings and or rip off my lca mount.
I may remove the driver side upper but not sure if its good idea with the weight of the 60.
Any input?

I was gonna upload pics but photobucket is blocked at work.

The weight of the axle has nothing to do with anything. The control arms handle the weight of the chassis, the tires carry the axle. If you 3 link the front with a D60 you'll only be one of the few thousands who have done that. As long as you have a solid joint on the 3 link upper arm you have nothing to be concerned about. By solid joint I mean not a rubber bushing. No rubber bushings in 3 links, and strong link mounts.

Back