• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Questions about RE track bars, drop pitman arm (2001 XJ)

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

I recently hit a calf while out in Big Bend and have the entire front end of the Jeep torn down for repairs, as well as for the installation of my Rigid FbG. During this tear-down, I sheared one of the steering box bolts (as can be expected on a 186,000 mile XJ, despite generous applications of heat and PB Blaster), so I'm re-evaluating my whole steering setup at this time.

First, in order to reduce the oh-so-steep drag link angles I'm seeing at ~4.5" of lift, I figured I'd go ahead and buy an RE drop pitman arm since I need to buy a new steering box anyway (as well as tie rod ends).

If I were to do this, I believe it'd take my drag link/track bar angles out of parallel, so more parts are in order.

My questions are thus:

1. If I were to install a drop pitman arm, it'd be wise to also drop my chassis-side track bar bracket as well, correct?
  2. Assuming #1 is true, I'd like to convert my RE1600 track bar (heim at the chassis) to an RE1660 and use the RE1665 track bar bracket (and corresponding brace). Does anyone know whether or not the main piece of the RE1600 is the same as the RE1660? If so, where can I buy the RE1660-style end for use with the double-shear track bar bracket?
  3. Would the reinforcement provided by the Rigid FbG in conjunction with the RE track bar bracket/brace provide enough rigidity to mitigate any concerns raised by the drop pitman arm?
Thanks in advance!

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1065192

the JJ style joint the 1660 track bar uses is female threaded, while the heim in your current 1600 track bar is male threaded. you cannot "convert" yours over, but people have been running heims in the double sheer for years. you just need the appropriately sized misalignment spacer. ruff stuff is your answer for parts there. keep in mind that most double sheer brackets are 2.5" across to accept a standard JJ, the spacer in your current heim should be 2" wide. ruff stuff does make a "wide" misalignment spacer. (or you can make your own spacer, with washers, to make up the difference) the RE bracket is 2" wide though, and there are a few other companies that make them as well. you will have to call around. i do know that clayton makes a stock height, as well as dropped bracket that is 2.5" wide. i found that the 1665 bracket didnt drop the frame side mount very far, so it may not be the answer your looking for.

yes, you want to drop both, keep them as parallel as possible. how much will depend on the pitman arm you order. i would decide on a bracket first. what "concerns" do you have with running one? if you are reffering to the stress put on the driver's side frame rail, a track bar and steering brace go a long way towards spreading the load to the opposite frame rail, as well as an aftermarket bumper.

for what its worth... i find no reason for a drop pitman arm on the RE 4.5" kit. i hit the bumps and my shocks limit my droop before the TREs max out, and i have a lifetime warranty on my TREs. hell, i have 2 full sets of spares.

If they start parallel and then you add a pitman drop arm, then yes you should lower your track bar as well for it to remain parallel. Typically the double shear bracket lowers the upper mount (I believe).

Back