• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

looking for a rear locker

jamesbtaylorjt

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys I tore up a few teeth on my rear diff. So I'm going to have a locker installed when I have it rebuilt. I have a 2001 with 4.5 lift and 33's. It's all stock now. What do I need? I want to get the speedo corrected also. Thanks for any info.

What is your goal? Do you want selectable lockers? Do you want cheap? Daily driver? Google is your friend in this subject Look up ARB air lockers(selectable) look up detroit lockers, OX locker(selectable) Aussie lockers.

Since stock I’ll guess you have a LPdana30 up front and a Chrysler 8.25 in the rear. With stock 3.55 gearing

3.73 or probably 4.10 gears would be my choice for 33’s

As for speedo gearing heres a link http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSpeedoGears.htm Find out what gears you want then go from there.

My favorite rear locker is a full Detroit. I've been running one in a XJ for 13 years and ran them on the farm for as far back as I can remember.

opinions will vary, but please re-gear to something while you have it rebuilt. most will recommend 4.10, 4.56, or 4.88 gearing for 33s, with the general consensus being 4.56s i believe. but, you are indeed asking about a locker, so for that i would highly recommend going with a full case locker for the added strength and durability. these would include OX, ARB, Detroit, E-locker, ECTD, and a few other lockers. all of those except the Detroit are selectables, do some reading up on them to figure out which one you might prefer, or go with a detroit for a solid, reliable, durable auto locker that you'll never have to worry about.

I love my powertrax no slip in my 8.25, its dead silent and there when i need it. Plus it was cheaper then a full locker replacement.

I'd suggest 4.88s with 33s, I've had my 4.88s with 33s for a year now and its been great. I just got back from a wheeling trip, averaged 18.5 mpg fully loaded with a bunch of gear, spares, tools, ppl ect. on the highway.

If you have the money for a full carrier replacement locker I'd say detroit, heard of to many problems with selectable lockers regardless of installation issues or not.

i know you said locker....but if its a daily driver, have a good look at the detroit true trac, i have a few months on mine now (front and rear) they are full case, are invisible on the street untill you need them to work. and i have been driving over everything i can get my wheels on off road since the install, work flawless and silent. very happy with them!

I love my powertrax no slip in my 8.25, its dead silent and there when i need it. Plus it was cheaper then a full locker replacement.

ive heard a lot of praise for the powertrax in the rear. would deffinantly spend a little more money over a lunchbox like an aussie. you dont have to worry about a carrier break.

that said, selectable is always the most street friendly and offroad performing option.

some sort of LSD and a lunchbox in the front would be a good setup for a DD/WW that has to get you to work on monday. a lot of people run lunchbox rears, but its something that you have to be willing to but up with.

ive heard a lot of praise for the powertrax in the rear. would deffinantly spend a little more money over a lunchbox like an aussie. you dont have to worry about a carrier break.

that said, selectable is always the most street friendly and offroad performing option.

some sort of LSD and a lunchbox in the front would be a good setup for a DD/WW that has to get you to work on monday. a lot of people run lunchbox rears, but its something that you have to be willing to but up with.

A no slip is also a "lunch box" locker and would also be my first choice if you were not needing to regear due to the damage... I have had mine for 4 years no problems, I have replaced the springs due to a few were broken...but because you will be pretty much re-setting up gears I would look inot a detroit, full case locker. 100% locked when you need it and still very street friendley like a no slip is also.

i understand the no slip is still a lunchbox. what i meant to emphasize is that people i have talked to with them love them. say they have very good characteristics on and offroad, as well as quiet operation.

what selectable options are there for the 8.25? ARB im sure, i talked with OX and was told, "we are working on it," but dont know if anything has ever been produced. i stopped looking a good while ago.

Detroit if you have the dough.

If you want a little cheaper, no-slip. Had one in my 8.25 for almost 4 years now, great on the street and trail.

Back