• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What can an XJ comfortably tow?

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 98 4.0 w/ AW4 & the factory tow package (trans cooler, hitch & connector) with ZJ rear disc brakes.
All the fluids are new, car is in good shape mechanically.

I've also got a 57 Chevy longbed pickup truck ~130 miles away. It weighs ~ 3,400 lbs. Figure another 400 lbs or so for the two-wheel dolly type trailer I might borrow from my buddy.

I know the cherokee is rated to tow 5,000 but something doesn't quite sit right about towing ~4,000 worth of truck & trailer with my Cherokee. Am I being too nervous about this?

Should a two-wheel trailer work fine, or do I need to go for an all-four-tires type deck trailer?

I've never towed anything but a smallish camper with the Cherokee and just don't know if I'm being nervous for no reason or for good reason.
What say y'all?

Error on the side of caution. I have flat towed my CJ-7 8-10 times and it isn't relaxing or fun. Borrow or rent a bigger tow rig, especially if you don't tow very often. Inevitably, somebody will chime in about how they towed an M1 Abrams tank (or something else nearly as big) with their Cherokee and lived to tell the tale. Either way, x2 on the trailer brakes.

The tow dolly will be fine. Flat towing a vehicle of similar weight sucks, but the tow dolly eliminates the steering axle of the towed vehicle wanting to wander. Flat towed an fsj once and I would NOT do that again.

U-Haul & other local renters are looking like $100 at least.
Buddy at work has a 90s F-450 with hitch, manual 5 speed & some monster rear axle with disc brakes + the powerstroke diesel. I think I'll swallow my pride and ask him if I can borrow that, throw a case of beer into the mix & see.

I keep reading threads about how the XJ can tow beyond 5,000 or whatever... I'm going to go with my gut on this one. I don't have the experience & I don't know how the trailer is set up (brakes or not) and I don't have an electronic brake controller on my rig.
I'd like to use the XJ since I already have it. It would probably be fine. I think I'll err on the side of caution though and borrow something I *know* won't have any problem.

i put up a post very similar to yours last year, about 4300LBs on a U haul car trailor..through a nasty at the best of times, twisty mountain pass that went anywhere from just about sea level to 4213ft, for about 175miles

i also had fresh brakes and factory tow package. it was not "fun" at all but the jeep actually chugged along quite well, there were some white knuckle moments from the tail wagging the dog at times, but that had a lot to do with the fact that the load was a rear engined off road buggy that could only be loaded nose first... just have to keep it out of overdrive. even with premium fuel, i would get a knock if my foot got into it a little 2 deep on the hill climbs, premium fuel is a must.
it would have never worked without the surge brakes on the trailer though, make sure whatever your towing has brakes.

check your diff oil and go for it. i made it. i wont do it again, but i made it!

F450 is a much better choice, i borrow one from time to time when moving my car, you can drink a coffee and have a conversation with a smile on your face while towing with the 450, not so much in the cherokee, silence and mega concentration LOL

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm going to have my girlfriend riding along in whatever car I tow the truck with. I think the 450 is the ticket, here.

My 96' I towed a 86' 4runner with a tow dolly. As above wasn't to bad to get going just stopping. Really have to pay attention making it not a comfortable ride. More nerve racking then anything. Doable but kind of scary. Came around a corner and the weight of the 4runner pushed the rear end out powersliding around the corner scaring the pants off me.

my father has a 21ft chris craft that ive towed before. its a 4000lb boat. the jeep can tow it, but the problem is stopping. the trailer was tandem axle, with surge breaks, but still...

Yeah saw a similar setup on the freeway, looks like it was being towed by a liberty. Boat went over the K-rail and was blocking southbound 1 +2 lanes. Trailer was northbound on inside shoulder.

Made me think, what do you do if a boat comes over the rail at you doing 70 down the highway?

U-Haul rental cost vs. cost of rolled Jeep, trailer, 57 Chev ?

How stripped out is the truck? My 73 Ford weighs 4800 lbs, which is pretty light for a long bed full size. But that weight is full running condition, all fluids and a 3/4 tank of gas. I don't see a full size getting too much lighter than that.

Either way, rent a UHaul or see if your buddy will help you out. You might have better luck convincing him to drive out and get it with you rather than letting you take his truck.

Not to offend anyone, but as with all factory ratings, the 5000 is conservative. With the rear brakes upgraded to discs, stopping will be much better. The 67 wagoneer weighed in at 4800 pounds, and the only part that was annoying about towing it with a tow bar was it's front tires tracking differently than the xj, causeing a mild bump as I drove. Increase following distance, decrease speed, no abrupt lane changes and your xj will be fine.

I don't know, I think I'm gonna go with the guys with experience towing more regularly and take the conservative route.

U haul in my area wont even rent a car trailer to a cherokee. i had to do some BS'ing and use a friends truck to go pick up the rental. even u haul knows it not a great idea lol

I've used a car dolly to tow my fathers F150 with my cherokee... like stated previously it was not "fun" but as long as i didnt try to drive interstate speeds it was manageable. I would go for it if you cant get the f450. When U-haul asks what you are towing tell them its a 1995 toyota tercel... the vehicle being towed has to weigh a certain amount less than the tow vehicle (or so the indian dude at the counter told me)

(and when i did that i was rocking a dana 35 with stock brakes)

Last edited:
I've used a car dolly to tow my fathers F150 with my cherokee... like stated previously it was not "fun" but as long as i didnt try to drive interstate speeds it was manageable. I would go for it if you cant get the f450. When U-haul asks what you are towing tell them its a 1995 toyota tercel... the vehicle being towed has to weigh a certain amount less than the tow vehicle (or so the indian dude at the counter told me)

(and when i did that i was rocking a dana 35 with stock brakes)
That wasn't very smart...
foolish man.
Fixed

Back